Alis girls

How long to leave one hen home alone?

I am now left with one girl - advice please as never had this before. Do I wait a week and see how she is - in case she falls ill - do I restock with 2 (2 would be my chosen number as dont want to be left in this situation again) or 3. I dont think finances will stretch to more that 3 frankly and I will need to separate??? Any advice will be gratefully recieved. I normally separate for a week or 2 but because I have a lone girl its tempting to try and put them all together right away. We are building WIR so do i wait till its all done or get new girls asap. I cant and dont want to rehome my girl as I've had her a while but worry about her being alone.

Thats an idea - being in London we are limited as our local farm no longer stocks hens - Maggie came from there. We usually travel to Herts and get ours from Stagenhoe chickens. Its late in the season I am not sure if I will find it hard to get POL's now does anyone know?

It's possible that some places will have stock left from late hatchings. Like anywhere - let your head rule your heart and if the places look a bit suspect then do not purchase (unlike me and although I hated giving the fellow money, I felt 2 new girls would have a better home - a succession of worming and I've finally sorted them out as orpie is now putting on weight when she was so bony for months).

Our neighbour has just lost his flock to foxes. That is his flock minus one. How she escaped I don't know because 'Hoppety' as we call her has a very bad limp and has for ages. Clearly a hip injury I think arthritis (if chickens get that) may be affecting her. Anyway she was very traumatised initially, but seems to be getting used to being alone. We've moved her and cleared some undergrowth so that she can look across to our flocks and see us as well.

So your last hen may be quite happy on her own Alis Girls?

I would love ex bats if I had more time - I am saving that till retirement. OH now works longer hours too so I just feel I couldnt give them the time. Its not a cop out - I have a stressful job, bad back and feel any animal should have the best of me. When i retire I will have ex bats and have time to nurse them to full health.

I would love ex bats if I had more time - I am saving that till retirement. OH now works longer hours too so I just feel I couldnt give them the time. Its not a cop out - I have a stressful job, bad back and feel any animal should have the best of me. When i retire I will have ex bats and have time to nurse them to full health.

Gosh no one would think that a cop out, ex batts are not for everyone, you have to do what is right for you. It's funny, posh girls don't do it for me....but I do have posh dogs :lol:

I picked up a couple of new girls just recently from Thorns Poultry near Letchworth, Herts .... At the time there were a couple of hundred there, so I would imagine they still have quite a few. Only difference with Thorns is that they don't let you in with the hens like Stagenhoe do, and personally I found that a bit dissappointing, but the staff are really good and let you take as long as you want to choose your hens. The two girls I got from there are an absolute delight and very healthy.

I also had one hen remaining, and couldn't stand seeing her alone ... She was even coming into the house for company and sitting by my feet for company bless her. I think she was so desperate for company she welcomed Rosy and Roxy with open wings and I havn't looked back.

With regards to cuddling, ive always found the little Red Hens to be the best .... Does anybody else have experience of this?

I confess to being totally naive when I got Maggie May. I didnt ask the right questions and am lucky she has lasted so long. She was in happy retirement but for some reason has laid normal eggs the last couple of days. She must be 4 and a half but shes had a long gap without laying. Today she was charging up and down the run, she calmed down when I let her out. Yes youre right at Stagenhoe they let you choose - which wasnt easy as when I said " can i have that one please" the hen in question legged it. In the end I said I wanted a white one and a black one - we grabbed the nearest looked her over and that was it.

The ladies that rescued the M62 crash girls have just taken on a big group of ladies from a man that can no longer keep his allotment. From the photos she has posted I can see she has faverolles and silver laced wyandottes.

This was her FB post this morning, they are in Irlam near Manchester

We have some new girls available for adoption. A gentleman who was no longer keeping his allotment has passed these on to us. There are a number of different breeds, bantams, silkies and more. Some as young and little as 20 weeks old.

We would like to ask a donation of £20 for each breeded hen, this is to help to go to our mounting hen food bills.

As winter grows ever closer we would really like to rehome all of the hens we have up for adoption. Or we need pay for some serious insulation work.

Good homes only please. If you would like to rehome a breeded hen, please consider taking some of our rescue hens too. They all deserve loving and safe homes, to be in a small flock with their own extra special human.

Thank you so much for reading.

Please share so we can find homes for everyone.

My number is 07412 361769 if you would like to book a breeded hen or otherwise.

https://www.facebook.com/Hens4Rescue/timeline

10354159_723201644417121_836563900491647824_n.jpg?oh=e3d12ce7e7c74b87f88a4ded03be4903&oe=5483E295&__gda__=1421482510_03d7e8f80ef431c14d9278ba9702add6

1382974_723166877753931_576052998250432227_n.jpg?oh=03df2a658cab7a7ce063a89d7db11017&oe=54868459

I had one girl left out of 5 and I thought she would be terribly lonely but she was fine! She was alone for about 2 months then I rescued 3 from BH Trust.

I kept them separated in the same run (divided the run with wire) and each party had their own house. They could see each other through the wire, there was lots of pecking and trying to get to each other and they had a few supervised free ranging visits. There were a few punch ups (more distressing for me than them!) and it took me a total of 23 days to integrate them all together as a flock without any s"Ooops, word censored!"ping.

The original girl became top hen and she had also stopped laying before they arrived. Once they were all in together she began laying again for some reason and they were all happy, put on some weight and are fully feathered. Bubbles has now popped off but the remaining 3 are fine :D

Hope you can find some new friends for your girl soon.