Luvachicken

Red mite in my blue tit nest box ?

I am lucky enough to have a camera in my nest box and for the last week or so, have been spying to see who goes in it at night.

Tonight I looked on the telly to see a dear little blue tit sleeping in there BUT then I could see little things running all over him. They were busy little creatures and very small and I'm guessing they were red mite.

The camera I have magnifies and I guess the little light - infrared LED - makes them show up very well. He had lots poor thing.

I was going to sprinkle some red mite powder in when he leaves in the morning.

Will I need to do it more often and if so how often ?

What affect will the mites have on the blue tit ?

Do they hop off him onto the wood when he wakes up in the morning ?

Have never had red mite with the chickens so I don't know the best way to help this little blue tit :(

What horrible little creatures :(

I have dusted the box with red mite powder for now as that is all I have.

If they got on me and came indoors what do I do then ?

I really don't like the thought of that and I wouldn't want any to be on me when I pop in to see the girls later.

I guess most wild birds must have them and we often have the blue tits sleeping in the box over Winter but this is a new camera and obviously magnifies everything that we couldn't see before.

Perhaps Omlet should make bird boxes with their stuff then the red mite would be easier to control all round.

Or maybe I should treat the birds to those boxes that look like they are made of brick.