SeramaSilly

Ikea kitchen - does anyone have one here??

Hi everyone,

Just need some advice - we are finally able to get a new kitchen albeit on a tight budget. We have looked at one in Ikea which seems great and has all the useful gadgets etc., but I've been looking at kitchen supplier reviews and everybody says they would never get a kitchen from them again because of all the hassle. Apparently the kitchen designer is really good but that is where it stops and from there on in there seem to be endless phone calls with no-one on the other end of the line actually knowing anything about kitchens. To be honest though every other kitchen supplier gets slated so I'm wondering whether it is just a small minority of people who have had a bad experience leaving reviews ??

:?

Please could you give me your thoughts??

Sophie x

Hi. We had one for several years which was ok but not better than ok. The plumber hated the sink unit, something to do with access. I was happy enough with it but I have to say that I've just had a new kitchen installed by Wrens which was a reasonable price and you can tell the difference in quality. I love my new kitchen and the fitters did a great job - even made me a set of shelves in an awkward corner with some left over panel and worktop.

We installed an Ikea kitchen about 6 years ago. No issues at all; however, we did our own design. We only used the free software to visualise what it would look like, then did our own plans (OH used to be a draughtsman). We then made our own templates for the granite work tops and sourced those separately. Built it and installed it all ourselves. Ikea do use thicker material for the cupboard carcasses than most and we have found them very durable. We went for the higher end for the doors and used the solid oak ones, again very durable. The whole cost came in at less than half that of an equivalent one from Magnet, when we eventually got a quote out of them...

I had an IKEA kitchen fitted in my last house - about ten years ago - and I would definitely buy one again. They are really good quality and I miss all the racks and pull-out shelves that I bought. I didn't use their designer though, I just worked it out myself, and I didn't buy appliances or taps from them either.

I do recall some hassle with missing parts which was resolved eventually. The other problem - and I believe they've changed now - is that I didn't buy the worktop from IKEA. The cupboards didn't have a space at the back to run pipes and cables behind - instead the worktop was wider than usual and that made an overhang to hide the cabling. Because I hadn't realised this there was nowhere for the pipes to go and my lovely patient neighbour who was fitting it for me had to cut an inch off the back of all the cupboards ... As I say, I think it's changed since then. I did a lot of research before buying and they were much better quality for the money than most other 'budget' brands

I had a new kitchen a little while ago, I brought it from howdens joinery, they supply all the DIY shops and it was so cheap! Units were excellent quality, I had one of howdens designers round. Howdens is trade only but anyone with a VAT card can buy from there. They are also excellent for internal doors!