jjmack

Rescue dogs a dilemma

So the thing is I've been thinking about getting a dog for the last couple of years and have done lots of thinking, research etc. we decided that as a family this summer would be a good time as my eldest finishes for her exams in May so with me working Part time and her being around more it would be a good time to get a dog settled before September when she will be back in education. I work 3 days a week 9-3 and would have a dog walker in (got one lined up that my friend uses and raves about) even when my daughter is around.

So initially we were looking at a new puppy, but I have now decided that going down the rescue route would be the right thing for us. So anyway I found one not far from us a 6 month old who had been brought back in from Romania and was in a foster home. I felt a bit uneasy about this as there are lots of dogs already in the uk that need homing, but reasoned that she was here now. Anyway it turns out that she has severe separation anxiety and so not suitable for us as I can't be with her 24/7. The charity then got back in touch with me about a 8 month old that is coming into the country in the next month or so. Very sad story etc. I just don't know how I feel about it. I know there are lots of people out there who are very vocal on the issue, but a dog who needs a home needs a home -don't they? :think:

I have spent many hours looking at the big rescue charities and 3 or 4 smaller ones local to us and there doesn't seem to be anything there for us - due to children, cats, working etc there don't seem to be any that work for all 3 of these. I also have bad experience of jrt from my childhood ands although I know staffies etc are generally lovely, I just can't persuade my husband of that. We are looking for spaniel/Labrador kind of dog and quite happy with mix breed. I was brought up with retrievers.

So I suppose I'm asking for experience with taking on dogs from abroad, not a debate on the rights and wrongs. What are the pitfalls, benefits etc. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and have thought through everything.

:?:?

Thanks for listening!

My Tango is an Irish rescue - not sure that's 'abroad' as such but it seems a lot of the Irish dogs are of 'working' types, e.g. lurchers, terriers, collies and mixes thereof. Fine if you don't mind something 'worky' and quite possibly fairly prey driven.

I don't know much about the Rommie dogs but anecdotally I've heard they are not easy - they come from generations of street dogs and don't always seen to settle well in houses. I've heard of an awful lot who have scaled 6ft garden fences in their desperation to escape and have disappeared never to be seen again, or hit by traffic :cry: Of course they are not all like that and some make lovely pets, but personally I'd be really cautious about taking on a rescue from abroad, at least somewhere like Romania.

I hadn't even realised that was a thing :shock: . I presume these countries have no equivalent of our cat and dog homes so they all end up on the street? From your point of view, the dogs need a home wherever they've come from so I think if you find one that's right for you, go for it. However, LB makes a good point I hadn't thought of, best to be very cautious.

We got Riley (who is supposedly a Staffie cross although I'm not convinced!) from the local cat and dog home. Best thing we ever did, we've had him 14 years now :) .

I support Romanian dog rescue it's called The Little Rescue if you are on FB do a search. My freind fosters and helps run it Viv Perry. You can also do a FB search for her. Where do you live? My freind lives in Hertfordshire but will travel to do home checks. I don't know how to do the link thingy but the RSPSA are running a FB compertion for best rescue dog and Tomkins is one they rescued. Most are mixed breeds of various sizes. They are so badly treated out their that it breaks my heart to see the abuse and suffering. :cry: please don't buy a puppy that may have been born on a puppy farm. :( Keep us updated. :D WWW.thelittlerescue.com

I myself have never owned my own dog, rescue or not. But I agree with Lavender.

A friend of mine did adopt a dog from abroad, from a rescue organisation. It was a nice little dog to look at, but oh so flighty! It took them for ever to get her house trained and it did escape a number of times. If also had bad feeding manners, attacking the dog, cat and even their kid over food.

This of course can happen with any dog rescue or not, but dogs that have a history of street life are more prone. If going for a rescue dog from Romania, I would advice to adopt a dog that has been fostered for some time, so the foster parents have some idea of the things that you would need to work on.

Don't want to put you off either but I also know someone who brought a rescue street dog home and it's been a complete nightmare. what about trying breed rescue for the breeds you are interested in, they have often been fostered as well so you would get a good idea of their temperament. Good luck whatever you decide, you will have to post photos of course.

Hi have tried the breed rescues but they won't re home because I work, even though I have plans to manage this. :( the one I have been approached about hasn't really lived on the street. Was found very young (few weeks old) and has spent all its time in clinic/pound or in a foster home in Romania. It's currently with a foster dad. It's difficult isn't it, because I have the people who have rescued successfully from Romania raving about them, then the others who have had bad experiences :?

I personally would not choose to re home a dog from Romania. I hadn't realised that we were taking dogs from overseas for rehoming. Our rescue kennels are buldging at the seams. Dogs that are bred 'on the streets' often have temperaments to survive 'on the streets'. This can take a generation or 2 to breed out. There is an abundance of Staffies and Staffy crosses in most rescue kennels at the moment which makes homing a dog from a rescue tricky if you don't want/like the breed. I agree that greyhounds make wonderful pets. Contrary to what you may think, they don't need lots of exercise. Ex racers can have issues being homed with cats so check this first if you have cats! Look out for private ads for dogs as people unable to keep their dogs for perfectly valid reasons often have to advertise them as rescue kennels are too full to take them. Local pet Facebook pages are a good source. Most people ask for a token amount of money to try and discourage people from buying dogs as bait dogs. I would advise having any privately owned dog scanned to ensure it is theirs to rehome/sell

The dogs in Romania have it pretty tough - they're not on the streets because there are no dogs homes as such, they are on the streets because no one owns them or at least takes responsibility for them, and they breed indiscriminately, so there's an awful lot of them. Such dogs homes as there are are often pretty dire and no one is routinely neutering the animals (at least not in any humane manner - there's been a case going round Facebook recently of a dog that's been butchered rather than spayed, sewn up with string and with insides hanging out). However, as horrible as this is (and it is) I'm not sure this automatically makes them good candidates for rehoming as pets. Dogs that have lived on the streets for generations just don't seem to settle in homes, sadly, making life unhappy both for the dog and owner :(

Here's an alternative response; I have a Greek rescue dog and she is absolutely wonderful. She is sweet and gentle and very, very loving and gets on well with my cats and timid children. I never planned on getting a Greek rescue dog and would have preferred one from the U.K. but at the end of the day, she needed a home and has found one and is absolutely the right dog for me.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152154298067364&set=pb.670947363.-2207520000.1425936492.&type=3&theater

A dog in need of a home is still a dog in need of a home and lucky to find someone that will love them. Why don't you meet the puppy and see what you think? Over the years we have had a foreign dog, that was the softest pudding you could imagine, and British dogs that had been kept in a yard, never seen the inside of a house and were very wild until they settled.

Most rescues will want you to take a dog on a trial basis only initially, to make sure you really are suited, so if you think you will get on with the pup you could always give it a go.

Thank you for all your comments. We have made a decision and are going to try the dog and he's coming to join us at the end of April. We are excited but apprehensive. He is going to be about 6 months when we get him. He is currently in foster care in a house so hopefully he will be used to being inside and with people. I will post some pics when we get him. :D

Thank you for all your comments. We have made a decision and are going to try the dog and he's coming to join us at the end of April. We are excited but apprehensive. He is going to be about 6 months when we get him. He is currently in foster care in a house so hopefully he will be used to being inside and with people. I will post some pics when we get him. :D

Well done. :D There are a few tips/advice that the re homers give I will get the list for you. :wink:

I've joined this discussion a bit too late but will add my thoughts if that's ok.

I have three dogs, a 11 year old retired greyhound, Ben, he joined us in sept 2014 (rescue). 8 year old English show springer Arnold (bought) and a 4 year old lurcher Ruby, we've had since she was ten weeks but born into rescue. I was a volunteer foster mum for GRWE greyhound rescue west of England and have various friends throughout dog rescue.

knowing what I know now, I would always look for a rescue dog first. I also feel we have enough dogs in this country needing a home and should think twice about importing more. There are dogs being put to sleep daily as no rescue space can be found for them. That said once and overseas dog is here, they need a home.

Finding a rescue dog is like dating. I'm guessing most of us haven't ended up staying with the first man/woman that we dated. It takes time and any rescue worth its salt will find the right dog for you. GRWE don't have open kennels so you can't go and pick your dog yourself, they look at your requirements and match it up to you. Of course if you don't gel they will start again.

I would stress very strongly that if you take on a rescue dog you need to make sure the rescue is reliable. A good rescue will home check you and do a follow-up to make sure the dog has settled and be there if you need support. And if the worst comes to the worse and it doesn't work out you should be able to return the dog.

I really hope the pup works out for you, I just hope you have the support you may need.