KateH

Sablepoots

I'm thinking of getting some Sablepoots and was wondering, is it best to just stick with Sablepoots or can they live happily with other bantams? I'm looking at getting three girls. I saw some lovely Welbar bantams at the weekend but don't know much about them or whether they'd get on with each other?

Hello! I have a little poot, the happiest cheekiest little thing you could ever meet. She lives happily with my others, a faverolle, an araucana, scots dumpies and some ex batts. They have lived together for 6 years so no real issues now although the araucana does occassionaly have a bad tempered rush at her.

However they are VERY prone to mareks disease and we lost two other little poots to this awful disease a few years back after a show.

Another thing to bear in mind is that they are fliers. Our little poot simply flies out of their enclosure whenever the fancy takes her, but she is such a sweetheart we rarely put her back. I have to say I am so fond of her I would have lots of them if I could but the thought of having mareks in my flock again might make me think twice. Will try to find some photies for you. :D Ax

Oh no! I didn't think they were flyers :( I have low fences and was hoping to free range them occasionally in the garden. I've been reading up on them and some say they are never broody whilst others say they are! Maybe it's down to their individual personalities?!

I have one very sweet Sablepoot called Jasmine, she occasionally lays tiny little pigeon sized eggs, so if you are after lots of eggs don't choose Sablepoots. I would stick to small breeds to house along side them, I have a mixed flock and have two very ill mannered Legbars, who do trample her (and anything else in their way) in the rush for treats. I haven't any trouble with her flying and she hasn't really been broody, but I do only have her.

She is my favourite, shhhhh

Quite happy to wing clip so that may be an option. I'd also heard they layed quite well which is obviously not always the case! Maybe I need to rethink this or am I looking for the impossible?!?

I'd like some bantams that don't mind being in a run with limited FR time. I'd like some eggs (not massive amounts but a regular few a week or something). I'd like them not to go broody and I'd like them to be fairly quiet (lots of neighbours!) and friendly. I've had Pekins and Silkies in the past but they were broody more often than not. I've also had Polands but they were a bit noisy :? I've also had hybrids before but don't think I have enough room for them really. Any recommendations?

New Hampshire bantams? They are apparently won't go broody easily and are quite good layers. Most of the time they lay every other day so far. And their eggs are of medium size (when compared to store bought ones).

They are very friendly (although a three week crash course at the childrens petting zoo will make any hen like kids! :lol: ) and easy going. Mine don't fly much at all. I have 50 cm high mesh keeping them from eating the rest of the garden and they don't fly over it.

Btw, I was at the childrens petting zoo and they have an amazing collection chickens (and guinea fowl! Oh how I would love to be able to keep those!!).

I saw some Dutch Bantams running around. Very pretty looking chickens too. They have polands, silkies, brahma's and lots of rare heritage breeds. And a number of giant turkeys.

A very handsome (and big!) cockerel was already checking out my ladies as I was tucking them into their boarding run. Great place!