ricmonddan

New to This: Am I over worrying...

Hi,

I am after some re-assurance or even the contrary. I have an Eglu go, 3m run and 21m fencing arriving friday and intend to head out to select 2 hens on saturday. I've never kept chickens before, i have a decent sized grassed and well enclosed garden.

My worries are around noise for the neighbors, when googling "are chickens noisey" I get a bunch of horror stories, is this the norm, are my neighbors likely to be woken by them in the summer? I understand it can be specific to the animal in terms of how noisey they can be, but i'm after experiences first hand both good or bad, as it may not be too late to back out of the idea.

Don't get me wrong, I will get up early to let them out, feed them well, keep them clean etc. That won't be a problem I just don't want to get attached to them (and more likely the wife get attached to them) then have to re-home them.

Dan

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum!

Unless you have a cockerel chickens don't make much noise. They may decide to shout for a minute about the egg they've just laid, or a warning about the fox they can see, but in general the garden noises you will hear will be dogs barking, lawnmowers, music, car maintenance etc

(googling chicken noises is like googling about a car you intend to buy - you will only see bad stories because no-one reports when everything is fine!)

Paula

My neighbours really like the noise my hens make. I don't like it when they wake me up at 4am, but that's my fault because I don't close their pop hole :D

Good luck

Not sure if they really like it, but I decided they just don't get the choice. I have to listen to the running and crying kids (sometimes running crying kids) of one of my neighbours and to the soccer watching sessions of my upstairs neighbours, complete with jumping up and down for a goal and yelling at the other team...

Yes chickens will make noise, no it won't be all day. (Most of the time... You can always have that one wacko chicken...)

we have 7 chucks (soon to be 10) and i can say that only 1 of them is noisy and only really when she lays an egg. My neighbours have told me they like the sound of the chucks and I think its like anything - you will probably think they are noisier than they are because you are listening out for them...

good luck - getting hens was the best thing we ever did x

:lol: you'd hate living next door to me cat tails. I've got 4 children (grown up ish )3 dogs and 20 chickens. Oh and some very noisy but lovely friends

:lol::lol::lol:

I think it is a lot different when people are living next door as opposed to living above you. I know when my upstairs neighbour has a sore throat...

I have to confes I sometimes punish them for being noisy till late at night (well my night anyway... When I'm trying to sleep...) and just get up early and start going about my business in the garden. Sweeping the patio, cleaning the chickens, banging around the dustpan... :twisted::wink:

Thanks for all the feedback, all of it is reassuring, I put up with a lot of noise from the area, but don't make any myself so maybe i should be a bit more selfish this time. I do have decent neighbors to be honest (so far) no that we speak much (to me that is a good neighbor :wink: )

Best of luck with your chicken keeping and choosing your hens :D Have you decided on the breed/type yet?

A point to consider is it's usually best to start out with a minimum of 3 hens. It's a protection, so that when you lose a hen you then don't have a lone hen. Chickens are flock animals and don't generally like/do well alone.

Keep us posted and remember you will always have help, support and good advice on this forum :D

Hi,

The small holding i am off too has the following breeds:

Goldlines,

Blues,

Light Sussex hybrids,

Rhode Rocks,

Speckledy Cuckoo Marans.

So I need to do some more reading really, i'm just after a small ish friendly breed, with egg laying volumes being secondary.

Dan

Hi Dan. I have 4 bantams in the exact set-up you're getting. They never make noise in the morning no matter whether I leave their Eglu door open or closed. They're only noisy if they've laid an egg (shout for about five minutes), see a predator (make a warning call) or are having a whinge about something (someone else won't let them lay their egg in peace :roll: ).

I agree that three is better than two, but hybrids are all quite big so if they're going to be shut in the Eglu run for any length of time I wouldn't get any more than three.

Looking forward to seeing what you come home with :D

Could the blues be bluebelles?

Maybe you should consider pure breeds? Hybrids are not smallish, they are rather biggish!

I have New Hampshire bantams, who are about half the size of a hybrid. Larger than a pigeon, maybe comparable to a nice size seagull, but ofcourse without the wings.

I think pekins are more easily available in the UK and are similar in size. Pekins apparently do go broody a lot. Mine haven't so far.

Hello and welcome....any urban hen keeper has had the same worries....I actually made myself crazy for the first few weeks, every time they egg announced I was convinced my neighbours would complain but they have been fine. In fact I think they quite like it, my new girls rarely egg announce, I have had them since October and only heard them a few times.

I can't advise on breeds as I am only interested in ex commercial girls but I'm sure one of the moderators Olly comes from Essex and may be able to advise you if you PM her (assuming it is a her)

My bantam Wyandottes are a nice size. For a bantam they're quite big - a fair amount bigger than my Pekins - but quite a lot smaller than the hybrids my mum has. Their eggs are just about big enough to have boiled with soldiers (the Pekins' aren't really). They also seem really robust.

Hi,

The small holding i am off too has the following breeds:

Goldlines, Isa Warren, Gingernut Ranger, Lohmann

Blues, Bluebell, Bluebelle, French Grey

Light Sussex hybrids,

Rhode Rocks, Black Rock, Bovans Nera, Mrs Pepperpot

Speckledy Cuckoo Marans. Speckledy, Cuckoo Marans, Cucu

So I need to do some more reading really, i'm just after a small ish friendly breed, with egg laying volumes being secondary.

Dan

All are hybrids Dan.

The Light Sussex are often quite large. If you are looking at hybrids the Columbine/Skyline are slightly smaller. A little flighty at first but are very friendly as they start to lay. About 3 large hens would be right in that size run.