ricmonddan

New to This: Am I over worrying...

Quick update, no problems in the Coop last night that I could tell. They were let out at 6.30.

The Goldline is still being a right pain, basically herding the other two where she wants them and extracting feathers. But I have seen both of the smaller two eat and drink now so I feel a bit better.

Dan

I would add an extra feeding station so she can't guard both at the same time, can you add part of a bale of hay/stray so they can hide/escape from her?

I'm sure its just because they are settling the pecking order but if it continues for too long it could form a habit....you may have to consider bumpa bits then.

Hi Dan!

Yes it's worrying in the first few weeks, isn't it? But it will all settle down in no time.

I've had my three hens for nearly 2 months now. Initially Rosie picked on the other two - Priscilla was very adept at diving out of the way or ducking under the ladder, but Digger (I have a 3-year old son - can you tell? :lol: I'm lucky she didn't end up being called 'Fire Engine' or 'Combine Harvester') stood her ground. I hated seeing it, and worried that one day I would get home from work to some kind of blood-bath. Various people on here told me not to worry and, in fact, better to let them get on with it while I wasn't around to witness it. How right they were. After a week or two it all settled down and I haven't seen a single peck since. In fact, Rosie and Digger are best of friends.

A second feeder would be good but don't go spending money - just find something which will do temporarily. Once they settle, they won't need the second one any more.

Also, gavclojak's suggestion of creating a bit of a hiding place is good, or at least something to break the clear line of sight your goldline constantly has of the other two. Would a window box planter fit down the middle of the run, so that the other two would have something to dive around, and it might also be something for them to jump up on to, to create a bit of interest? Window boxes came to mind because I have two which have been lying around the side of my house for years, but have a root and see what you've got lying around and see what works for you.

Have you named them, or did I miss that bit?

Oh sorry, I'm being dim and missed your last post. Don't worry if they don't use both feeders - at least you know they have the option. Thinking about it, mine did the same.

How have you been getting on since? Any improvement with the pecking yet?

Oh sorry, I'm being dim and missed your last post. Don't worry if they don't use both feeders - at least you know they have the option. Thinking about it, mine did the same.

How have you been getting on since? Any improvement with the pecking yet?

It has improved, she is not as vicious with it now but it is the same frequency.

They are called: Ygritte, Nymeria and Lady (various Game of Thrones characters)

I have a window box full of soil that they would enjoy no doubt

Update.

All three are now laying, last to lay was the Speckled Marran the egg was absolutely massive, she is big now, dwarfing her sisters, it seems the amber and goldline put all their energy into egg production, as they are not putting on much weight, but both have laid every day for a a couple of weeks now.

They are all very well behaved and have become very tame, I have found them to be very picky with treats, the love mushrooms and corn on the cob and also a little mash potato but can take or leave anything else (berries / tomatoes)

I read somewhere that they like to feel like they are under a tree canopy, so i bought a camouflage net to go on their run, looks cool.

My only worry now is i don't seem to be getting though my Layers mash very quickly, any tips on making them a bit more excited about it?

My only worry now is i don't seem to be getting though my Layers mash very quickly, any tips on making them a bit more excited about it?

Feed them less treats... They are like kids, who'll go for the sweets over any normal meal. If they fill up on other stuff, they aren't likely to eat their mash. They also hold out on eating mash if they expect a treat later in the day.

Mine get endive and corn in the morning (to make sure they keep their noisy beaks shut) and sometimes something in the evening. But not on a regular basis.

Yes I would cut back on the treats. Use treats to your advantage, say corn or mealworms in a tub you can rattle to get them to come....running :lol: Good say if you need to get them in after free ranging or you want to check them over. I vary what I do & when and also what :wink: You could also hang things in their run for them to enjoy through the day. I'm at work today so no free ranging for mine, but they have cabbage leaves hanging in the run today.

Glad they are all laying & getting on for you :D Enjoy those yummy eggs :wink:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Technically chickens could do with only pellets or layers mash, but what is the fun in that?

I scatter shredded endive and mixed corn around the garden in the morning to shut them up. But it also gives them a chance to forage for their food a bit.

Mine probably eat less pellets than technically desired, but they are happy and laying, so I'm not too bothered.

My 4 hens in the back garden are all still pretty small, at just over a year old, and i did wonder if i was doing something wrong - wrong feed so no weight going on, unhappy girls etc - but 3 of them lay consistently and they are bright and happy!

Cut back on the corn, maybe give this every other day as a little treat from your hand (which is good for bonding too) and throw in some cut grass whenever you cut your lawn, which they like to forage in and look for grubs, just so that they have variety.

In the long run, they'll realise that the layers pellets/mash is their main source of food, and will be super excited to se you with a treat!

We keep corn and meal worms in an old ice cream tub and rattle it, which makes them come 'running' :D so cute!