ricmonddan

New to This: Am I over worrying...

Perfect starter pack mix for your first chooks, and lots of lovely eggs to look forward to :) I started with six.....fast fwd three years and have 31 plus five cockerels at the moment! Neighbouring houses very close and not a complaint.....yet, lol! The girls only make a wee singsong for a few mins to announce an egg has been laid and after that it's busy scratching about all day with the odd soft bokbok here and there. Only time they might make a rumpus is if under threat, ie, fox, buzzard etc in sight. Enjoy :)

Yay :dance::dance: new girls :D

Just a suggestion but you may want to over the next few weeks gather a few "just in case" supplies.

Not sure what you have already? But things like flubevent for worming (vital!) Purple spray incase of injuries, nutridrops incase of illness etc. If you do it gradually it won't seem such an expense & also you'll have when you need it!!!!!

Enjoy :D I have had 3 cute fluffies hatch so far today :D:dance: Love their cheeping :D

Congrats on getting your ladies!

Personally I wouldn't shut them in the Go itself all day... If it is slightly sunny, I think it can get rather warm in there. And they wouldn't have access to water or food either!

If he suggested to keep them in the run, then I would say yes of course! I wouldn't let them out to free range for at least a week. Although I know how tempting it is!

Yay :dance::dance: new girls :D

Just a suggestion but you may want to over the next few weeks gather a few "just in case" supplies.

Not sure what you have already? But things like flubevent for worming (vital!) Purple spray incase of injuries, nutridrops incase of illness etc. If you do it gradually it won't seem such an expense & also you'll have when you need it!!!!!

Enjoy :D I have had 3 cute fluffies hatch so far today :D:dance: Love their cheeping :D

Thanks so much for the tips, will make sure we purchase all these goodies asap. Good to be prepared!

The seller said to lock them in the Go itself all day and night with some food and water so that they know it's their home. But it is pretty warm today so I have opened the door to let them out into the run.

The Goldline came out immediately and seems pretty settled. The Moran has just come out after about an hour of having the door open. The Amber link is still cosied up inside the Go for now.....

Thanks to all for your help and guidance. The wife and I love them already! Looking forward to our first !egg!!egg!!egg! in the next few weeks (hopefully)!

I think it depends what you mean with "going for". As long as no blood is drawn, then they should be fine and just establishing pecking order. But if it all gets a bit too aggressive I would intervene and remove the bully. They can squabble, but shouldn't injure each other.

I agree with Cat Tails, keep them in the run for about a week so that they get to know it is home but not shut in the Go. You don't need to put food and water in the Go, just in the run. As long as no blood is drawn I would just keep an eye on them. There is normally falling out as they sort out the pecking order. If you can put two food and water containers that would be good.

You may need to encourage them to go into the Go tonight. A torch in the Go works well.

Chrissie

Lovely for your ladies to enjoy the sunshine :D They definitely would have been too hot in the go. They should workout the pecking order, but as said just keep an eye on them for a few days.

Depending on how old they are, you may get eggs shortly or it could be awhile yet. Do you know how many weeks they are?

I think the Goldline is 18 weeks and the other two are 16 weeks. The Goldline's comb is very red, and the others are smaller and still pinkish.

She is still going for them both occasionally but still no blood or injuries, so I think they are just establishing their pecking order. They make are making a bit of a racket though when they are squabbling! Its certainly not constant, and they are all peaceful in the run for the time being. I will keep an eye on them over the next couple of days and hopefully it will calm down?!

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement! :)

Thanks again for the reassurance! It's not very nice seeing them squabbling, but glad to hear its normal at least!!

We've just hung a CD and some greens from the top for the run as a distraction for them, and put a couple of bits of wood in as a perch. Will go and buy some more toys and hiding places tomorrow for them.

Picture to follow....... :-)

Looks great! Enjoy your grass while it lasts! :lol::lol:

Just a suggestion: I think your feeder is a bit high up. They will not be able to reach the food very well, when they are running low. I have mine resting on the ground. Liker your Glug for the water. To make it easier for yourself, I would hang them both in the front of the run, or you might fancy crawling in the run everytime you want to change the water. :lol::lol::lol:

Edit: Just noticed you made the door in the side of the run... Ignore what I siad about getting them to the front... :wink:

Edited by Guest

As Cattails says enjoy your grass while you have it!

Lovely mix of colours and your set up is exactly the same as mine - even the colour!

Please don't take this as a criticism, but your chooks won't be able to perch on those bits of wood, they're far too small. I'd say a perch needs to be at least an inch and a half across if its a single piece.

All looks lovely :D:D Love the green! I have a green cube :D I got some lengths of smallish batons from our homebase and they slide through the run bars and are perfect as perches, not too expensive either :wink:

I would provide another feeder if you can in a different location for the little ones. Oh and a clip on pot for grit and oyster shell, the type for caged birds that clip over is what mine have :D

Enjoy your chickens and I'm sure a a few weeks you'll have a egg :D ......or 2 :lol:

Thanks for the tips, no offence taken at all. Any guidance appreciated as we are new to this!

We will put the food lower tomorrow and have put in thicker perches (two of them) using thicker wood, and putting them across the run bars. Seem to be much happier, and now tucked away in their Go with no fights so far!!

Thanks again to all for the support and guidance, really appreciate the reassurance in our first few days as chicken owners, is making the experience much lest stressful! :D