eve

rats rats rats help

Really dont know what to do. I have young children 5 hybirds a dog and rats!! My girls have a wooden coop and free range at top of garden all day.the girls have been making plenty of noise recently and then ive seen the rat coming from under my shed theres a whole in the soil going into next doors garden. Really not sure best course of action. I just want to get rid of the rats as i think theres more than one.had hens for years this is the first time ive seen a rat.please help husband ready to get rid of my hybirds which i dont want to do.

i would keep the hens but get rid of the rats:) nothing for it really but a bait box, i had a rat coming from next doors compost heap a month or so ago, i blocked all the access points and so far not seen it back.

Make sure you take in both the food and water each night too.

BTW screwfix do a good baitbox

Hi, Don't Panic! I think most of us have had a problem with rats at one time or another.

Bait boxes are definitely the way to go. You can buy pre baited ones too which saves a lot of faffing about. Try and tuck them somewhere protected as Rats like to hide and will be more likely to eat the bait that way. If you can see where the rat is coming from it would be good to put it near there.

make sure you put food and all food sources away at night, ldon't leave them in the run.

you should see an improvement soon but don't worry if it takes a few weeks, Rats can take time to eat the bait.

Good Luck :D

Thanks so much for the advice on it.yes i can see a tunnel into next doors they come out from under my shed, so can get a bait box under there will one be enough you think. All my food in at night i keep it in my brown bin.

I would get a couple if you can, the more chance of success that way. Put them in different locations though. Don't be tempted to keep checking the bait box as Rats can smell humans on the box and will avoid it if they detect human scent. Leave it at least a week before checking it has been nibbled.

I used to live in the country until I moved last summer and we had major rat problems there, it was a constant battle to keep the numbers down but if you keep battling away you will win in the end.

Do you know if they are nesting under your shed? They just love to live under buildings like that and if its not on a concrete base or slabs it is Rat heaven!

Most people will have rats in their garden especially if they feed the birds or have a compost heap but they hide themselves really well and you only tend to spot them if you have chooks and they pinch the food.

Rats are horrid and it is impossible not to feel a mixture of guilt (must be down to our chooks) and shame (neighbours will think we're dirty/hens unclean etc) but they are inescapable pretty much and around everywhere - it's just that you are more likely to see them near hens, compost heaps etc. People used to feel the same on discovering their child had nits until it became so common that 'even' nice children got them,. And I loved it when I read that Prince William had nits too when he was at prep school. so, don't panic but do all the things people will advise on here like taking in food, blocking up holes, using bait and traps etc and it is possible to stop seeing them (even if in reality they'll not be too far away still!)

What works for me

The pipe bait station:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/649364/ferret-for-rat-control/20

And whenever you see a hole put the water hose in it and let it run for a while

If you have composter be sure there is no food in it

I have one of these feeders but don't use it ATM because I thought rats would also be able to stand on it to access the food. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I have 11 girls and worry that they only have one place to access food. :think:

What works for me

The pipe bait station:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/649364/ferret-for-rat-control/20

And whenever you see a hole put the water hose in it and let it run for a while

If you have composter be sure there is no food in it

I have one of these feeders but don't use it ATM because I thought rats would also be able to stand on it to access the food. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also I have 11 girls and worry that they only have one place to access food. :think:

I put one litre bottle and readjust so it will only open at that weight, I also reinforced the door with springs so it doesn't open if rats try to push it, and then I test it by putting my smallest hen and see if it will open. it is hard to know but I didn't see any signs of rats, I don't see any wild birds eating my chicken food. one feeder for 11 hens should be ok if you are using pellets. I have two feeders for 20 hens and they are fine.

I also use the same feeder - its a smaller one I think but it just fits in the eglu classic, but you have to angle it to get it out and in and then it stands upright - no rats since we got it or if there are they could not get into the feeder - we found that the food would come out the back and my hubby put a metal strip along there and that stops any food falling out - also stops the birds taking so much they only get what the hens drop so its quite clean in that area.

We also used a bait box and that really got rid of them - We never saw any dead ones either so thats a bonus - I think they go back to their nest to die - we have a farm about 800 yards away so I think they came from there.