Hippie Chick

My Chickens Are Ready! - Update with photos

I had an email today to say that my chickens are ready and waiting for me to collect them :D

Sadly I'm not quite ready here yet, but hopefully by the weekend the run will be finished and then I can go and bring my new girlies home. Even my neighbours are getting excited!

I just need the rain to hold off...

Edited by Guest

Yes! We got home with them just after 5pm today, they were all a bit stunned at first - I expected them to explode out of the carry boxes as soon as I opened them, but they just waited to be lifted out one by one! I scattered a bit of corn mix for them to get them in a more relaxed mood and within an hour they were all wandering around the run exploring. After a couple of hours one was bossing the others around so I think she'll be the one in charge!

I was told that the Araucana has already started laying so maybe I may see an egg soon...

They all quite cheerfully took themselves to bed around 9pm and I could see a load of chicken bums perching when I looked in :lol:

Fingers crossed that the pecking order is going to be sorted out without being too stressful (for me!). Tomorrow will see me shredding branches for chippings and putting some logs in for hiding/perching places in the run - and taking photos. I'm also fitting the ChickenGuard tomorrow so I don't have to get up in the mornings too early!

Fingers crossed they'll be settled enough to have a wander around the garden after several days.

I'm thrilled to have my chickies at last!

I had an email today to say that my chickens are ready and waiting for me to collect them :D

Sadly I'm not quite ready here yet, but hopefully by the weekend the run will be finished and then I can go and bring my new girlies home. Even my neighbours are getting excited!

I just need the rain to hold off...

Sounds really exciting :)

Which breed did you buy?

All is well with my as yet still nameless chickens! I have a Lavender Araucana, Speckled Sussex, Bluebelle, Rhode Rock and a Speckledy.

All seem to be bold and inquisitive, and not scared of the dogs whatsoever.

I didn't manage to get any chippings made for the run today as fitting the new Chickenguard device took far too long - I couldn't get it to work for ages, it turned out to be a faulty Duracell battery - a brand new pack as well. Plus I've spent a fair amount of time watching the chickens and wasting time :roll:

The photos aren't great, the light was fading a little when I finally got around to taking photos.

new12_zpscyrw9l7h.jpg

new8_zpsjpkgju7p.jpg

new10_zpskzysbwdm.jpg

new5_zpsdlcj1sl4.jpg

Sorry for the large photo size - I haven't used Photobucket for several years and can't immediately see how to re-size. Must try harder!

I got them from Bank End Farm which is right at the wrong side of Sheffield for us as they're at Totley (we're in Barnsley). I went on a chicken keeping course there and decided to go back for the chickens from them as the chickens looked healthy and you could wander around their fields and have a good look around. You also get fed home made cake on their courses, so naturally I'm won over :wink:

They breed their own pure breeds but buy the hybrids in and my guess is that they get them from Storrs Poultry at Oxspring (I've also heard good things about them) although I didn't ask.

I managed to name them all today as well! In order of dominance (I'm surprised to see how apparent the hierarchy is) we have:

Brunhilde the Bluebelle (head chicken and all round bossy boots)

Agatha the Speckled Sussex

Clara the Lavender Araucana

Phyllis the Speckledy

and Agnes the Rhode Rock

I've also managed to catch and cuddle three out of five today :dance: and have learned the valuable lesson of removing my bracelet before I try to wrangle a chicken as Phyllis tried to eat it repeatedly :lol:

Will look into Bank end view then :) I'd heard of Storrs before but you jogged my memory! Mine are from Brackenholme at Selby, probably equal distance between them both but they just do the hybrids.

Your Bluebell looks a little older from her comb, so not surprised she's ruling the roost! Loving the names :)

My original girl Speckledy has just had a 'squaring up' to my new girl Snowdrop - who didn't back down!! Will be an interesting introduction...

Keep us up to date with pics, and of your blue eggs when they arrive!