soapdragon

My Bug Hotel!

As I was typing away at the wedding present thread I looked out the window and saw a large bumble bee fly into our bug hotel. When I went outside and looked I noticed that all the larger holes/tubes had some sort of white waxy substance over most of the hole and there was, indeed, a babbity bumble in the only 'uncovered' hole!

In spite of sowing lots of wild flower seeds in the garden this year I have not seen very many butterflies, bees etc at all. I was beginning to give up on it as the box has been up for about 2 months with no guests as yet but now I am hopeful!!! Does anyone else have one of these and who is inhabiting it? Does the direction that it is facing matter very much?

Now this is interesting... I have a tree-mounted bee house, but have never had anything in it; a bee-keeping friend has advised me, and all the criteria are right... just no bees :(

I saw a wonderful bug hotel, built from pallets on the Daylesford Estate, and I want to make one of those.

It looked a bit like this:

1e8467ce5942d2b3a95f1a5190531c03.jpg

Ours is occupied again this summer - I love watching how they stuff bits of leaf & foliage into the holes.

It got quite frenetic one day & I took a video of them busying about

A couple of years ago we also had a large colony take up residence in an unused bird house, which was fantastic!

We have a bee hotel that OH bought for Christmas and after reading this thread I've been out to check and noticed one of the tubes is sealed with what looks like wax :dance: I'm pretty sure there was a bee backside sticking out of another tube, although as it's very wet outside today so I didn't hang around for long!

I did notice quite a few of the solitary bees hanging around it in the warmer weather but didn't think they would stay.

Aw shucks....I am so impractical that I can only just manage to make tea let alone a bug house :wink: ! Actually I got it from Lidl :shock: It was one of their offers of the week some time ago but, if they have them again I will certainly get another couple as it was only £3.99 8)

They are available in some garden centres too though and I am sure that there would be 'destructions' (as YS calls instructions) on the interweb somewhere. Good luck!

All you really need is a bundle of hollow canes - short lengths of garden cane tied in a bundle will do, it's good if you can get different diameters to suit different types of bee. You could use hollow stems of garden plants, for example. It's very much a matter of luck as to whether you get any guests, though!

Bird-boxes are particularly popular with the tree bumblebee, bombus hypnorum.

Gavclojak - looked that hotel up just to be nosey. :shock:
a woman after my own heart!!!

I don't think the description does it justice! The cab driver from the airport called his friends to see if they knew of anywhere that want booked up as it was spring break! There was unidentifiable matter floating in the pool and right opposite one of the biggest strip bars in Miami,and that was just the good points:)

If anyone is interested, I was in Dunelm Mill the other day getting black out material (bear with....it gets clearer!) and they had some bug houses in the sale.

I saw them on the way in but was so focussed on getting the right amount of material then looking for rugs and cushions that I forgot to pick up a couple on my way back to the tills :roll: Too far to go back for just those once I realised by don't know how near any of you are to a Dunelm :think:

I've had bug hotels previously and not had much luck with anyone moving in to them. I've just been given a new one which I'm dead excited about, but am wondering about siting it - do you think it's too late in the season to put one out? Where's the best place to put them (eg amongst leafy growth, or clear of all that stuff) and which direction do you all have them facing in?

Finally, I've heard lots of people move their bug boxes into the garage/shed for winter to give occupants more protection - do any of you do that? If so, when do you take it in and when should it go out again?

Sorry, loads of questions - I'm worse than the most annoying three year old, I know!!!!! :oops::oops::anxious::anxious:

You havn't said 'are we nearly there yet' so not at all annoying :lol: !!!

Actually I don't know about siting....possibly so they get some sun and warmth and not too much shade? I simply tacked mine onto our birch tree but, with hindsight, should have done some online research for the optimum position!!!

I would guess you can put them up until the end of the summer.....bugs might be looking for a nice place to overwinter up until the first frosts do for them :shock: Not sure about taking them inside for the winter... :think:

You havn't said 'are we nearly there yet' so not at all annoying :lol: !!!

That's so funny!!!! My brother and his family are off down to Cornwall today and I've just texted them to say "are you nearly there yet" as I know it really gets on bro's nerves when the boys ask that question ten minutes into the journey!!!

Thanks for the tips, I will have a look at my garden and see where looks like a likely spot - my prob is it's either going to be in full sun pretty much all day or full shade, not many half way houses in my garden!!!