Christian

The Weather Thread #9

Quite a lot of trees down here - went to Wiveliscombe yesterday morning but on the way home the top of a tree had blocked the other side of the road with the top branches and leaves (narrow miss I guess) and a few more big branches broken on the road where it was clear on the way down.  The little open farmers market has gazeboes that are weighted down but even then, the guy most open yelled "BRACE!" as the gusts started lifting the covers off - so everyone grabbed their frames and hung on (customers also helped!) until the gust had eased a bit.

Home here we have lost one of the leader branches - the trunk has separated into about 3 - at the top.  Not helped by eager woodpeckers and the grubs inside.  When we first came here the tree looked dead with brown leaves that sounded like rain whenever the wind blew - dried hard they had!  So it was a surprise to see it burst into leaf this spring.  I can only guess that it is a small leaved lime that is obviously suffering.  The branch itself has landed several feet away and it is quite large!  So must have been some strong gusts while we were out.  I had checked the chicken run the previous night and tightened the screws that had worked loose, tightened them again that morning and again in the afternoon and evening.  I'm amazed it is still standing!  The tarps have pulled free along some parts, although it is well tied down everywhere else so should be easy to fix.  I think the chooks are relieved this morning.  I gather we are due to have more gusts but only around 25mph today but it looks reasonably calm.  My report said it would still be up to the 40mphs and more to dwindle over the day.  The only good thing was no rain yesterday!

That was ages ago DM! Friday we had stormy weather - rumbles around and was sorting the girls out for tea, walking back inside and the most vivid flash as I had my hand on the back door - flew inside before the rumble!😱  This was on Sunday.  Exmoor direction, next is Tiverton side of things, to the Blackdown Hills - Dorset looked better off in the far distance!  Then last pic is Tivvy to the right and Exeter-ish to the left.  Yesterday was beautiful to start with.  Again surrounded by nasties but soon the deluge started - and hasn't really stopped.  Wind has picked up and I gather 45mph gusts!  I suppose at least it isn't a whole sheet of grey - the clouds are varying shades.  50 probably!:lol:

20190609_134621.jpg

20190609_135907.jpg

20190609_135925.jpg

20190609_135903.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, windows are fixable - just annoying because we had them done last summer and this particular one wasn't identified as a problem at the time!  Chickies are doing well - the maran chicks are now motherless - Midge decided she'd had enough at the weekend and marched back to life with Marvin (who is very very happy to see her!); the cochin chicks are growing fast but still fluffy and cute - unfortunately their mother doesn't like being handled and hustles them away at the first sight of anything. 

:lol: M&M - the yellow flowers are pretty abundant starting with dandelions and we even have that little yellow annual clover.  A nice mix of sorrel and I have found some thistles.  Not so happy with those underfoot!  The chickweed - normal and hairy have been swamped!  Hoping a friend will come and cut and bale it some time this month - if it ever dries out!  He will keep the hay - we won't need it yet!

One thing we are guaranteed a lot of - skyscapes - which I adore.  Unless it's grey or low cloud.  Ooooh it's getting lighter!  Rain has stopped!  For how long though?  Pretty much surrounded by those storms and we seem to escape for the most part.  Just like in Hook - storms to the left, right, back, front but rarely overhead!

I don't think we have a problem with ragwort, but yes, hawkbit is in abundance - and one right in the middle of the patio - a very handsome specimen!  :lol:  The one and only yellow rattle that was growing in the greenhouse - none in the field (expensive mistake with £70 of seeds) although plenty along the banks along the other side of the hedge - suddenly gave a growth spurt and resembled something quite different.  Looking it up (had suspicions but not sure) I immediately pulled it up and composted it.  So I weeded the weed!  Then wondered how the heck it got there.  Compost and topsoil was brought in - Soil Association approved too!  It must have been very hot in the greenhouse!:shock:

This is what is in the greenhouse!  All bagged!

20190509_152555.jpg

That looks like a lot of hard work!

It was dull, cool and raining here this morning, but cleared for the evening and I had a lovely walk.

I am in the process of remodelling the garden, and took out the concrete path the other weekend (60ft long, 2ft wide and about 10" deep) a  friend came round to help and we managed to fill a 6 yard skip. I now have 3 ton bags of topsoil out the front, which I am barrowing through now that the rain sees to have stopped. Great exercise :)

LOL!  It was!  But the pile is greatly reduced and the rest of the topsoil is earmarked for dust baths.  

We had just under half an inch of rain overnight.  Emptied the pot and we had a quarter of an inch in 4 hours.  It was a lovely late afternoon though, but the clouds returned around 9.30 with a little rain in the air.  Will be interesting to see if there is more rain in the night.  I know we are due for more rain throughout the week.  We have been taking advantage of the wet weather and visiting wood burning stove shops and today was kitchen range ovens.  On the way back we stopped for dinner in a nice pub and the elderly people were saying that their allotments hadn't done well and they haven't been able to do much because the weather has been so bad.  Hasten to add Exeter seemed to be dry!  We've had the gulls around so guessing stormy at sea - surf's up!

I didn't get to put up the bean poles, but I did manage to get the beetroot transplanted.  In the afternoon I was popping in comfrey plants along the top edge.  Also took some time to be with the chickens as it's been more dash in and out.

Rained overnight and I forgot to check the gauge this morning - sunny start for me!  But it's hammering down now.  OH was just filling the wild bird feeders and didn't put his coat on - see him run!:lol:

It's far too early in the season to be running out of water, but we are heading that way. Can't take a risk on the forecasted rain on Friday so have put 900 litres of tap water into one of the butts to give it time for the Chlorine to come out. We only have enough rainwater stored now for 4 days with the temperature today being 30C and tomorrow perhaps 34C.

Couldn't work out what was eating the cabbages so fast and started checking the area every morning early. So far I've taken out 29 large and previously very elusive snails!

You can have some of our water Beantree :roll:

Dodged very heavy showers yesterday to barrow round the last of those 3 ton bags of topsoil - truly back breaking work. Today is warmer and started with a lovely blue sky, but true to the pattern of the last couple of weeks, it has clouded over and got blustery. No rain yet though. I need that topsoil (aka 'mud') to dry out so that I can rake it out, tamp down and work out whether I need a little more or not.

I agree - lugging tons of soil is blooming hard work!  But well done.  

I was up early and working in the field at 7.30 - must have been insane!  It was cloudy but dry.  Very windy though and we even had sunshine for quite some time.  Clouded over again though.  Lots of stuff done in the greenhouse and things planted outside.  This afternoon we even managed to mow the lawn and the veg patch!  In time before the storms arrive - although I don't know if that applies to our are.  Storm warning in place and is apparently from 7pm tomorrow and through the night, so someone will be getting them - unless they change their minds, but OH's weather app said storm warning and my one which is Net Weather has it marked up too.  Just need the dry weather to come sooner rather than later - several of us around here need the fields to be cut and baled pdq!  Also joined Bligh*****ch which gives notifications of blight (tomatoes/potatoes) for farmers and amateurs - one of the sponsors is Bayer - no guesses why they are - buy our chemicals to spray on your veg.

Blight-.watch!!!  Simple - no rude words!!!!  And in any case I was told to look it up by my dad and it is an article of nuns headgear.  So there!  

• Haha 1

:lol:  I remember so clearly that dad was not impressed by my answer and said don't you try and be smart with me!  Clearly I had no idea and had to ask my younger brother several years later only to find :shock: ooh I say!!!!  Annoying how sheltered I was - more annoying that my brother was more street-wise than me!

Well not one drop of rain today.  I remembered to read the gauge and it was 3mm over the last couple of days, so it looked worse than it was - all that fine rain I guess.  Still, looking forward to the next sunshiny day!  Singalong moment there.

Rubbish weather!  Yesterday was a washout until about 3.30 when we got back home after a long day gallivanting and looking at stoves and cookers.  Not really a wasted day - making good of the bad so we can spend more time at home when it's dry!  Soooo the sun came out and it was warm with a nice warm breeze - beautiful.  Went to bed and saw the stars!  So they are still up there then.  This morning it's back to rain, but drizzle stuff.  We've had sessions of blue sky and cloud but the rain is like a couple of spits and then it's gone.  Still very windy but not too bad.  Time for catching up with the outside chores - strimming around the electric fencing and now my hands are wobbly! 

Hasten to add electricity was off and it's just vibrations from the strimmer - not me being zapped every 5 seconds!:lol:

Edited by Valkyrie
an NB

Toulouse, which is 50 miles East of us, had a 10 minute hailstorm which brought down trees and smashed roof tiles; here a couple of mm of light rain fortunately. Still had to water everything this morning and so we are now down to 1000 litres. Lifted some main crop potatoes which showed they could benefit from a few more weeks growth.

My hands tingle after petrol strimming Valkyrie, so I limit myself to one tank of fuel use per day. The little electric one is much better in that respect, but then dragging cables about is awkward.

• Like 1

Was watching the storms the other night - lightning maps like a geiger counter when you turn the sound on.  I can imagine how awful it was!  We have bought a Stihl strimmer that is fairly heavy duty but it is cordless and we alternate with the batteries.  An added bonus is that we can interchange the batteries with regard to other Stihl machines.  So while I used the smaller battery first, I put it on charge and used the bigger battery.  It is really good and there is no gradual fading like with the old Bosch.  It carries on to the fullest and then just cuts out.  We do like our Stihl stuff!    I haven't got much to go now and it is next to some already mown paths so it won't take long to finish.  I'll probably strim around the hedging that we planted as the grass is now taller than the trees!  Can't see the trees for the grass!!!!  OK am off, coffee slurped and sun is still out!