CatieB

Heelp and ideas needed DOG behaviour

My spoodle (cross welsh springer and poodle) is 18 months old. Either he or I need help desperately. I am struggling to cope and its stressing me - in a house where there is currently a lot of stress, could that be an issue?

He has started to toilet in the house! there is nothing wrong with him and its normal stuff so not a vet issue. He did a wee in front of me a short while ago when the patio door was open a few feet away. He did one in my lounge yesterday and got my curtaiins at the same time.

Normally my hubby is the main dog carer as I am out long hours and he works at home. In my eyes Scout is badly behaved around me normally, doesnt listen or follow my commands. Is much better for hubby. Hubby and I are having issues and hes been away this week so Scouts routine has been all over the place. Could this be a factor. But more importantly what do I do. HELP

Stress can be a big factor for dogs, but for you it might be the hardest to change right now.

Is Scout castrated?

If you are able, I would create a set routine. So set times for Scout to go out, but also set routine when taking him out.

I took care of a dachsun for some time with the same problem. Started to set a timer to take him out. Also I restricted his peeing to certain places and made sure we had a stiff walk of at least a few minutes before I let him pee. Restricting him in that way with peeing, strengstens your dominance over him.

Don't despair! Remember: he is a dog and it's only pee. You can clean it and you can make his behaviour change.

Make the walks your zen moments and he will love you for it!

Agree with DM but I would add getting urine checked just in case our Schnauser was the same and I thought it was stress due to house move and anxiety, turned out she had stone in bladder. She was 2 apparently they are prone to stones The stone had caused irritation in her badder and it was picked up on testing urine.

I'd get his wee checked, just to rule anything out. If thats clear, then I wonder if when he wee'd did you shout or raise your voice to him, when usually you might not give him attention? If so, he might be attention seeking. They can be right monkeys. Do the wee training that Cat Tails said just to get that back on track, and don't react whatsoever if he does wee in the house, and praise highly when its done outside. If your hubby is the one who does all the things for him usually, then Scout sees him as the pack leader and sadly you are below that. Try taking over feeding and other things, or just sharing, so he sees you both in the same way. Good luck :)

He isnt castrated. Would this help mad behaviour?

Definately not a wee issue - hubby is back and hes been normal. It is defo a defiance thing towards me, I sound paranoid :lol:

He is relatively well behaved for hubby, hubby says sit...he sits. I say sit he igonres me and bounds around the room. IF he responds to me he hides his face as if to say you are telling me off but MOSTLY he completely ignores my coomands.

I know he wants attendtion. Hes mad for it and a very excitable loving dog, but I was taught to ignore a dog until its behaved then give it praise...so I do this and it sends him back to being loopy. He jumps up far too much and barks when he doesnt get attention.

This is male adolescent behaviour. It often happens, you are not alone :D You need to take your training back a few steps. Adopt a similar approach as you would with a puppy. Regular trips out for a wee and stay outside with him. Until he has performed. Let him in the garden after a walk as some dogs are too busy on a walk to empty their bladders and it is not unusual for them to return from a walk only to wee indoor when they get back. This is the age when dogs can challenge for top dog status. A little like the young lion cubs who challenge the adult male for top male status. Your husband is clearly not an easy challenge so he is battling with you. You need to do more with him and you need yo do some basic training with him on a daily basis to make it clear to him that you are not bottom of the pack. You eat first, go through the door first. inwould not let him on the furniture but you may have let him do this from day 1 so this might be difficult to stop. If he is food motivated you can use treats to encourage and praise good behaviour, or you can use a toy. As others have said, routine is important andd consistency is essential. It will take some time but it needs investing now to get him back on track.

I would say he really needs castrated to lower the hormones but it takes about a month for the hormones to go out of the system and you need to take on board some of the suggestions as they are really good ones. You need to be the boss and maybe keeping him on a lead outside in the garden and cage him in the house till he learns better. A good dog class may help and you hand feeding him at meal times could help also.

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I have no internet at home again and consequently used all my phone data :( -3 weeks now - BT are useless but that's a rant for another thread.

Anyway, things are much improved but he's still a psycho!! I feed him much more now and give treats and this has definitely seen a difference in him towards me . He still jumps up and has mad behaviour but also has calm moments now which make it far more tolerable. In the evening he will often come and sleep next to me with his head on my leg - very sweet.

The wee issue isn't the same but every now and then he'll do it. The last time there was floods all around my kitchen :shock: but I think I sussed that it was because he didn't wee outside as he doesn't like wind!!! Bizarrely on Christmas Day he excitedly dribbled everywhere- how did he know it was Christmas Day????

I defo think he needs castrating but the outlay is a factor now I'm going to be a full time student, I've noticed I get lots of discounts but sadly not vets!!!