Chickabee

Scaley leg mite - advice please

We've actually learnt about this in Parasitology this week.

Scaly leg mite are called Cnemidocoptes mutans that burrow underneath the scales of the legs and feet. You can use Ivermectin spot on or topical ointments once a week for 4 weeks.

There are lots of products available from Pets at Home or your local poultry supplier, personally I prefer the ointments to the sprays.

Best done at night as they roost if they aren't used to being handled.

I was going to say that but it's hard to know if it's worked as the scales remain raised so I carry on with some Vaseline and Invermectin. The sudocrem is good though and softens the scales so they go smoother again. I treated all of them and changed the run material to prevent reinfection. Don't know if that's part of the life cycle though.

If you use spot on regularly as a preventative, then they won't get mites. But some scaly leg spray, or one containing permethrin (not licensed for use on poultry in the UK) will work. Use a soft toothbrush and work it up under the scales.

The scales will remain raised, but the crusts underneath will go when the mites die. Don't be tempted to pick at the manky looking scales; they will be replaced att he next moult.

I'm reluctant to use insecticides as the mites (or any bug) can evolve resistant strains. We have experienced this with red mite. Our treatment is just to soak the leg in Olive Oil which creeps between the scales and suffocates the mites. In a bad case a wrap with lint soaked in oil and then bandage. This method has never failed us.