chickencam

Mediastinal mass cat?

We have just been told that our cat Scamp has one of these :( . We took her to the vets this morning because her breathing has become very bubbly and laboured over the past couple of weeks.

The vet did an ultra sound expecting to find either pneumonia or heart failure not this. He said the mass is very large and is pressing on her lungs. He wanted us to make the decision to treat or PTS straight away but we brought her home for us and the children (grown up pretty much) to make a joint decision and to say goodbye if that is what we decide. :(

We have read up on the Internet and OH wants to get a second opinion just in case it is a cyst not a tumour. The vet said it is very large and is pushing against the base of her lungs so I think that OH us clutching at straws to be honest. Just thought that I would ask the great omlet wisdom and if anyone has any experience of this . She is currently not in imediate distress, she is eating drinking, purring etc fine just had the labored breathing and a bubbly purr. She is around 11 years old.

Oh I'm so sorry Liz, what a worry :(

I would get a second opinion if you think it will put your mind at rest but if you think she's suffering it might be kinder to let her go. If you have a good relationship with your vet and respect their opinion, I would tend to put my faith in their judgement.

Sending you a big hug and a soothing stroke for Scamp.

xx

Our old girl (14) had an undefined mass pressing on her lungs. The symptoms were the same as your cat, laboured breathing, noisy and bubbly, but she was still eating, drinking, purring etc. the vet put her on steroids for a month, just to see if that helped, which it did, but at the end of the course she was back to the usual. I knew there was nothing to be done and so we had her PTS. I've said this before, but I think the month of extra life was for our benefit as much as hers. I feel for you :(

So sorry to hear about Scamp...this is the very worst part of being a responsible pet owner, isn't it? Did the vet give any indication as to how long Scamp may continue as is before any deterioration?

We had a lovely hamster who had tumours but was extremely perky, eating and running around....no altered behaviour at all and the vet advised that we keep her but, at the very first sign that she might be deteriorating or in pain, take her straight back to be PTS. She continued happily for another 4 months - quite a long time in hamster years - until one morning when she was very quiet and not moving much. She was PTS within 2 hours. Its quality of life really, isn't it? So, if the vet thinks she is not in pain or discomfort, perhaps she can stay with you a while yet?

Sorry to hear your news. To be honest, I think that you vet is right and understandably your husband is clutching at straws. Cats seem to be able to 'cope' with the most critical and serious of illnesses for some time without succumbing. I am afraid to say that your cat will be struggling despite it appearing to be reasonably comfortable. Cats can purr when they are stressed and distressed do don't read too much into her purring at the moment. Sorry that I am not being positive about this but I would hope that you have posted wanting to hear honest comments. It would be a shame for you to wait for your much loved cat to be in crisis and distress before you made the decision to put her to sleep. Remember, for her it is a simple injection of an overdose of anaesthetic, the pain will be confined to you and your family :(

We have been talking about this all day. :( DS came back from Scotland on Thursday and noticed that she had lost weight and wasn't herself, YD loves her to bits and ED came back from Bristol to see her and join in the difficult decision making process.

We keep coming back to the same thing, that we don't want her to have major invasive surgery with an uncertain outcome. We can't explain her pain and suffering to her, she is a lap cat but hates to be picked up and handled so any recovery nursing would be stressful to her too. Therefore it doesn't seem fair to let her deteriorate further just so that we can have her company for longer. I would hate her to go into crisis over Christmas when we may not be able to get her to a vet quickly. So we will take her to the vets tomorrow, the only thing we will ask is if the ultra sound was conclusive that it was a mass not a cyst, but it sounds like if a mass is found by X Ray then ultrasound gives the distinction between fluid filled and solid masses.

This is one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do, our first cat disappeared, our second one lived until she was at least 19 and died of a stroke. It is horrible making a decision on behalf of a trusting animal who has no say in their fate. I have euthanised three chickens during my 8 years of keeping them and that has been horrible too. :(

Thank you all for your honest advice.

I know that we are doing the right thing but she is up this morning as had her breakfast and is being so affectionate because she knows that I am upset. At the moment I feel like I am about to betray that trust :( . I am normally the strong one but I am in bits this morning. Just waiting for the vets to open at 9, OH has gone into work early so that he can come back later. We are all here to say goodbye. :cry:

Have been thinking of you this morning..........I remember having to pull over when driving back from the vets after a PTS when I was on my own; hopefully OH and family were with you? Its horrible for all of you and you do feel SO guilty but its really the kindest thing you can do for Scamp if you feel that her quality of life is compromised. As you wisely said, you wouldn't want to have any delay if things had got worse over the holiday.

Thank you all for the advice and thoughts. Yesterday was horrible, she fought when we put her in the basket obviously remembering the previous day :( we went at 11am OH couldn't cope so ED came in with me. We had to wait for about 20 minutes which wasn't ideal because there were dogs in the waiting room. When we went in the vet had a good chat with us confirming that it was a mass and that it was the size of a tangerine :shock: . He explained that she would be given a sedative which would be allowed to work for about 15 minutes then the anaesthetic. We were able to stroke her as the sedative took affect, she tried to keep her eyes open and her eyes looked so sad. I think that she had nearly gone before the anaesthetic. I was glad that ED was with me OH wouldn't have been able to cope. The vet was lovely and treated her with real dignity.

We were all very sad yesterday, a lot of tears were shed. I am at work today and feel better for a good night's sleep, I am glad that Ziggy has my younger two at home with her today.

I nearly posted yesterday morning, but I wouldn't have been much help to you, its just too upsetting, but I did think about you. I spent the day with friends who pre-owned our last 2 mogs, and amongst other things we talked about the cats. Even though they have 2 new ones, the old pair still remain in their hearts, and in all our thoughts. I have all sorts of photos, including the mogs, on a random loop as my wallpaper and screen savers, so I get to see them quite frequently, it helps.

I absolutely love that photo 'I want food and I want it NOW' :D RIP Scamp.