dancing cloud

Stitched wounds - bathe or not?

Herbie-dog has had a whole lot of big cysts removed and looks like Frankenstein's pet, all stitched together. The biggest incision goes across from one shoulder to the other and there are a total of seven others, some of them quite large.

He's healing well and being a big brave furry boy but, when we went to the vets for the post-op check yesterday, she said I had to bathe all the scabbed-over wounds and get rid of all the scabs and dried blood. Being of an older generation, we were always told that the scabs were a good sign of healing and to leave them well alone. Once an injury had dried up, you tried not to get it wet again.

I'm therefore seeking Omlet wisdom as to whether what the vet said should over-ride my instinct to leave him be? Herbie loves me utterly and would probably let me bathe his wounds, if that's the best thing to do - but is it?

If your vet said to bathe, I would bathe it. They are best placed having done the surgery and having accessed to would to say what is best for this wound. The wound may need to discharge some serum and this will not be possible if there are scabs. Preventing the fluid or serum escaping may result in swelling or infection.

I don't know if this is relevant, but OH had quite a bad accident earlier this year and had several major wounds and scabs requiring a visit to a nurse every 2-3 days to have the dressings changed. This involved the nurse dousing the wound site in something, then actually picking the scabs off with tweezers to stop them developing, then redressing with vaseline type stuff, and then bandaging. We thought this was just the practice in Portugal and a bit odd as like you we were taught that scabbing was a sign of healing, but on returning to the UK we have found out that this is in fact the current thinking. If I was you, I would do whatever the vet said.

Thanks for the advice and hope your OH made a full recovery. It's a long time since I've had to do any ongoing wound care and I don't think I'd be letting anybody near any of my scabs with tweezers :shock: .

I've had a go at cleaning Herbie up (and he let me, bless him) but it's a bit like trying to bathe lumps of tar. Apart from cleaning up some small areas, I don't seem to have made any impact on the main scabby areas at all. If it was a human, you'd put them in a warm bath to soak, but that definitely won't be happening with a big dog.

I'm using wet cotton pads - nicely warm water with a little bit of salt added - any ideas of anything else I could try?

Would that his wounds were somewhere like paws that we could dunk, but there's no way we're going to be able to wrangle him into the bath tub. He's a big heavy strong dog and bath is definitely a four letter word. He's also a big coward, so we'd probably all need stitches if we tried :shock:

The really good thing is that Herbie's prepared to let me have a go at bathing. Obviously I'm trying not to hurt him and he loves me totally, which always helps. The very long incision has oozed a little since my bathing attempt, so maybe it did some good. Better out than in :vom:

I'll know in future that the trick to this is to do it earlier - the first couple of days would have been a good plan. By the time the vet said to do it (and I'd checked out the wisdom of it here), the scabbing had well and truly occurred and had set like glue.

Herbie went back to the vet yesterday and the vet will not take the stitches out while they are welded in scabs, so my dad came back with strict instructions to get those scabs gone :shameonu: . Warm salt water was having no effect, so I had a good search on the internet and came up with softening the scabs with sweet almond oil for a couple of hours before bathing. I had a go last night and again this morning and it seems to be working well :dance:. There's a long way to go on the big incision where the scabbing was at its most excessive, but a couple of the smaller wounds are now totally clear.

Herbie's not too keen on the whole exercise, particularly as I'd added a couple of drops of lavender oil to the almond oil, so he smells like a little flower :shock:, but he's bearing up well. Good job he still loves me :D. He's due back at the vets tomorrow or Thursday, so fingers crossed I can free up the stitches enough for them to come out then :pray:. I'm not sure his love is infinite!

Thank you for the recommendations and Derma Gel and Hibiscrub have been ordered. Hoping not to need the Hibiscrub immediately but it looks like something we should keep in the house for when we will need it. The Derma Gel seems to get rave reviews for healing.

The almond oil has worked well at softening the scabs and even the large incision is now mainly clear. Fingers crossed for stitches out tomorrow :pray:

Not the update I wanted :(. Stitches were taken out yesterday, but the wounds then started to open up immediately, so poor Herbie is now stapled back together. Only the very small incisions were ok, the four biggest ones are now full of metal.

Apparently he was a little :angel: while the vet was doing what was necessary and I'm sure he'll enjoy all the attention he's going to get, but I'd rather he was healing better. This time I'll keep the wounds bathed and I'll put the Derma Gel on as soon as we get it.

Staples out at last :dance:

He went back to the vets a week ago and she didn't think the healing was sufficient, leaving everything where it was for another week. Yesterday she took all the staples out, even from the very long incision, and it's all stayed together :D. He has to have his collar on for another week, as she reckoned the wounds would still be itchy while they were healing, but it can come off next week and we can have our doggie back again.

Dad said yesterday he opened the back door for Herbie, who looked out, turned round and went back in to look meaningfully at his coat. Yes, it was raining and he was NOT going out until he was properly dressed for the weather :shock:. Going to be demanding wellies next :lol:!

Glad to hear Ruby's doing well and fingers crossed for no more stitches or staples all round :pray:

Herbie is back with his mother and sister at last, though still wearing his coat to protect him from any accidental damage from his very enthusiatic and playful sister. The house now has a supply of derma gel and hibiscrub for the future, and I have learned how to remove stubborn scabs with almond oil.

With the doggie pack back together in the kitchen, Loki-cat can come back in the living room and at least most of the "normal" routine has been restored - phew :D!