Charlottechicken

Ebay, yet again!

Just after thoughts really.

I mainly sell on ebay but the other day a really nice top caught my eye. Sort of a fine jumper, lined and by wealth of nations (not a brand I'm familiar with). It was just ending and I bid the 99p and subsequently won the auction. Top arrived today, thought it looked a bit small, but tried it on anyway. I could barely get it on, the arms are a tad short and so tight, and reading the label it is dry clean only and I think it has been washed. The lining is longer than the top when it is on and I look like an odd version of the incredible hulk! The top is supposed to be a 12, I am a large 10/small 12, the top actually measures 30 inches around under the armpits!

I contacted the seller saying what I thought, nicely, and got a one sentence reply saying "sorry you don't fit it, I don't think it shrunk".

Any ideas what to do next? Not bothered about returning it, she made nothing on the sale and the top is in a charity bag already, it's just the cheek I think.

As an aside, I sold an old m&s top of mine years ago and the buyer contacted me and said it didn't fit right and felt uncomfortable, as it was only a couple of quid I told her to donate it to charity and gave her a full refund, seemed like the right thing to do.

I don't know why people have to be so awkward and why they sell items which they know are faulty. You are entitled to a full refund. I generally just give in if people complain about anything that I have sold on eBay and issue full refund, although I won't be selling electrical goods any more, we had so many people trying it on with items which were working perfectly when they left us. A lot of electrical items are now listed sold as seen or for spares because this is a common problem. Open a case and see where it takes you but for 99p she should have just refunded you.

I honestly don't know why sellers 'try it on' like this....its just asking for trouble. I have really cut back my buying from E Bay over the last months as I have had some things that were not in good condition or not as described (see thread about Kipling handbag...it really was very grubby :shameonu: !!!) Yes, there is a process to get a refund but its all just extra hassle to go through just because some numpty has appallingly low standards and is happy to list something that should go in the wash or the bin :twisted:

I always scrutinise everything under a lamp (OH thinks its hysterical!) but I'd far rather do that than risk anyone being unhappy. Also I have now decided not to start anything at 99p but, rather, the minimum that I would be happy to accept and take the view that anything over and above that is a bonus.

Well, for the first time ever I have negged someone :shock::anxious: Not pleased about doing it, but following her reply I thought I'd just go for it. The top has gone to a charity shop where whoever buys it can see the size. It had obviously been washed and shrunk as the outer fine knit layer was so tight and non stretch. I'm a 10 or 12 and this top was a 12 so should have fit easily, instead it was so tight and short as to be obscene!

She has a lot of feedback, over 14k, and is based in Guernsey so she must be a business too.

Soapdragon, I sell a lot of diverse stuff on ebay(clearing two houses :roll: ) and it is mostly sold as buy it now with free p and p. I also scrutinise everything and have even stopped a listing halfway through writing it to throw a damaged item away, because it wasn't obviously damaged but I noticed a hole as I was measuring it.

I've gone for free p and p now as well because e bay are charging on that too :shock: Also I think people will pay a bit more if they think its post free even if you factor in a bit extra to the buy it now price.

I havn't sold for a while but have a few lovely tops (Mistral, Fat Face etc) that are in really good condition but that I don't wear so I have done the photos today to list at the weekend!

Well, for the first time ever I have negged someone :shock::anxious: Not pleased about doing it, but following her reply I thought I'd just go for it.

Keep an eye - she might respond to the neg stating her case, in which case you can, if you like, reply to her response.

I have done this a couple of times when I have negged someone & they have tried to justify the tat they sent me.

I did take a photo of the top with a tape measure across from armpit to pit, to show how skimpy it was. I was going to take a photo of me wearing it, but it was so ridiculously tight I didn't want to be seen wearing it!

It has now been donated to a charity shop anyway, I'm not after a refund, the only winners are the Post Office in this case!

Not wanting to crash CC's thread, but I am irked with an Ebay user at the moment; I bought a lovely Jigsaw top for a fraction of the original price, it was listed as new, although the only photo was the one form the Jigsaw website. When the top arrived, it was indeed in good condition, neatly folded etc, but had a small grease mark near the top. As the garment was silk, I was reluctant to try washing this off, so contacted the seller and asked to return it for a refund.

I eventually got a refund, although not for the return postage, but only after some rather nasty messages from them accusing me of having worn the top and made it dirty myself. I remained civil at all times, and sent them photos of the mark on the garment. I have left them neutral feedback and commented on their less than polite comms.

Honestly... why not just admit that it wasn't as listed?!

If you had just opened a case on your My eBay page with eBay, rather than dealt with the seller direct, you would have been refunded your return postage as well.

You get sent a pre paid label, the cost of which comes from the sellers account.

The return is tracked & the seller gets 6 days from the parcel arriving back with them to refund you in full, including your original P&P charges.

I truly believe that the only way to prevent people trying it on & selling shoddy goods is to open a case & let eBay deal with the complaint, then leave negative feedback if you think the problem warrants it, which in this case I would think they did :?

I had a prob recently with a Kipling bag (see seperate thread about washing same!!!) which arrived marked and generall 'grubby'. I contacted seller to tell her, politely, that I was unhappy with it, was happy to send photos and felt it was not as described '(immaculate condition'....splutter!!) and she replied that she thought it was fine...had just been in the wardrobe a while; no appology. I am afraid that I chickened out and left no feedback....as yet!

I am tempted to leave positive but say 'nice item but grubby ; had to go straight in the wash.' When its not exactly an open and shut case like Dogmother's stained top or the shrunken jacket its a bit of a grey area :wall: I wasn't after a refund or retrun but just thought an acknowledgement of the fact that it was less than 'immaculate condition' would have been nice :doh:

Well, after leaving my seller a neg, she has not responded to it, and I have blocked her.

I bought a little purse the other day (to match an oilcloth bag I bought), one of those with the old fashioned twist metal fastening, it doesn't close! Sent the seller pictures and she offered a partial refund, which I have just refused! Honestly, if someone isn't happy and it is low cost, don't quibble, just refund! She sells high quantity and low cost Chinese imports so surely must expect some defective goods occasionally.

Gah! I give up!

I confess I am one of the people who dislikes leaving negative feedback on Ebay (although I don't blame anybody who does). I have never sold anything on Ebay, but recently I bought a dish that I had won for 99p and the postage cost nearly three times that. It arrived smashed - the parcel had not been marked fragile. Looking at the previous feedback - she had 100 per cent good and it was for a charity, so I just sent a message and pointed out the fact that the dish was smashed and that she had not marked it fragile. I said I would not leave any negative feedback, but that obviously I was disappointed. She posted back and apologised and refunded everything. So I could not complain about that. I guess oversights do happen and I think that most people are good ebayers.

Well yes, I would have done the same as that was an oversight, like you say.

Its different when there is a deliberate attempt to palm off shoddy goods as new goods.

I had a ring arrive today, sold to me as brand new & unworn, & all the coloured coating has worn off around the inside - something that can only happen with use :?

As a seller who has sold a LOT on eBay, I now photograph every last detail of the things I sell also, as I have had people say there was a mark on an item when I know there was not. It probably just didn't fit or something! :roll::lol: