Minty_76

Pekin and bantams together?

As you guys are so knowledgable about these things could I ask a quick question.

I'm about to get hens again and have been considering the best breeds for a smallish garden/small children/eggs etc. I do like the look of Pekins but the broodiness puts me off. I was wondering if I was to get 2 bantams (for eggs) and then 2 Pekins at a later date, would this work? I've got a classic and 3m run but they would have access to the garden too. I think I want my 2 year old to have a proper pet chicken but also ones that lay more egg so don't want to just have Pekins.

Does any of this make sense? I have been researching breeds for months and just want to make the right choice!

Thanks all x

I personally would start with four in stead of introducing 2 later on. Apparently it can be quite a challenge.

No chicken is broody free, but some are more prone. If you are in it for the eggs, you should ideally get average sized hybrids, but 4 in a classic would be a squeeze with that run I guess.

My New Hampshire bantams are relative good layers, but mostly give me an egg each every other day. They do stop laying over the winter.

I would also advise starting with the four rather than adding two later, which is not without its risks. Pekins are broody little devils, mine lay a couple of eggs then spend most of the summer being broody! You will needs to have a spare coop or the like to deal with this, so factor this in, it could be a rabbits hatch/run.

Thanks for your replies. My old Wyandotte bantam was broody a lot and she was quite nasty with it and obviously wasn't laying any eggs. Not sure I can be doing with that so maybe Pekins are out of the running now! I am thinking more and more about getting hybrids although I know they poo and eat for England! However they do lay eggs consistently. So much to think about! My first hens were bantams. I then acquired 2 old hybrid ladies who didn't lay any eggs but were more friendly than my bantams had ever been!

Thank you- lots to digest now!

Hello! I have two little partridge pekins. Lovely little hens but last year were rarely out of the nesting box. I am hoping to aquire 2 x buff plymouth rock banties this weekend and / or New Hampshire Red banties both of which I have been assured dont go broody at the mere sight of an egg :lol:

You need hybrid bantams. I had 2, I'm down to one now. They were/are excellent layers and didn't go broody. What about Polanda. I love them. their eggs are nearly all yolk they look fantastic, and they're not too big. Never had one go broody and they're quite friendly and easy to handle.

I have two pekins and 2 Wyandotte bantams. Of both pairs, one goes broody, and the other doesn't, and the pekin is never nasty to anyone when she's broody. So I'm just saying that they're all different. The pekin who doesn't go broody laid loads of little eggs last year.

Chickabee can I ask what hybrid bantams you had? I didn't know they existed.

Definately try and get the four in one go. I have a Pekin which didn't go broody at all last year :shock::shock: but now I've said that she'll probably sit all summer :lol: I also have a Sablepoot and 2 Barbu d'uccles which have just come into lay and I get a suprising number of eggs from my small tribe. I've had three a day recently on and off.