CND

Diarrhoea In Otherwise Healthy Hens

Hi all! I've two lovely ex-bat's whom I've had for about a year now (from BHWT). They appear healthy in all other ways except for the fact they have now had very very water poop for almost a month. It started at the same time as I wormed them (could be coincidental?) and has not cleared up since. Nothing in their diet has changed. I have tried all sorts of vitamin supplements and I've even thrown out their old feed and bought a new bag in case it was that. Still no change. They are very happy and healthy in all other ways except for having rather bedraggled rears which I am keeping clean (rinsing down regularly). Can someone help?

If they have been wormed with Flubenvet you can be sure that's not the problem CND, otherwise it may be?

If they have had anything in their diet containing natural sugars, like apples, that could have created bad gut flora. The product to use is Avipro Avian and that will restore normal balance in about two weeks after application. This is a product we use regularly because our chickens are in an orchard and often eat fallen fruit before we can get to it.

Thanks both! I've wormed using flubenvet so I'm happy it's not worms. We're apple free and they never seem to have regained their foraging instincts (except when it came to my spring cabbages but the timeline is wrong for that) I have tried a couple of different vitamin mixes for restoring their gut balance neither worked. I don't think it is red mite either but I am going to investigate that avenue further.

They seemed to be improving over the last week but one of them has taken a sudden turn for the worse this morning ...become very lethargic and just standing around, she doesn't want corn either which is unheard of.

Sounds like it could be sour crop CND so you need to check for firmness and warmth. Easy enough to contract from feed that has got damp. Poos will not only be watery but will have a slimy consistency and may smell rather bad. Cure is a water only diet for 24 hours at least and you may need to carefully syringe it in if necessary, because sometimes they won't drink. Keep at it until the crop is empty and poos are just water.

We've had a couple this year and don't know why?

Retford poultry can analyse a poo sample and give you a diagnosis for about £30.

Brachyspira is quite a common cause of diarrhoea. They pick it up from wild birds and the treatment is denegard. However, diarrhoea can also be a symptom of lots of other things, e.g. Mycoplasma (which needs Tylan) etc.

Avipro can be helpful for gut health.

Good luck with your hens. I hope the poorly one turns a corner.

Thanks for this - we think sour crop in one and treatment ( ejecting icky crop and feeding with yoghurt to get yeast in balance) has sorted that 'end' however both still pooping like a Jackson pollock painting. The one with sour crop is off food as expected but rallying however the other is happy as Larry but just has the most disgusting bum....HELP!

We know yoghurt is generally said to be helpful, but it could actually be making the diarrhoea worse as birds can't digest it. You might be better off trying avipro avian or Beryl's bacteria to improve gut flora. Apart from that just dry pellets and water. Good luck.

I agree about the yoghurt.

Be careful if you use Beryl's bacteria :vom:

It absolutely stinks and will make your stomach churn - especially if your chickens decide to share it with you when they flick it off their beaks :vom::vom: