Groovychook

Festive food recommendations

These are more festive drinks. I was at Düsseldorf for the Christmas markets and adored the Gluwein,mulled wine. It was served in pretty Christmas mugs. All the stalls had different ones and of course you just had to have them all :lol: I also had hot chocolate with a shot of rum which was delicious and something I'll be serving to adults after our outside carol service on Christmas Eve.

We are still in the Sinterklaas treats (and have been eating too much of that too...)

Our Lidl normally has those biggish chocolate balls filled with dark choc mousse and crispy bits.... hmmmm... :drool:

What are Sinterklaas treats?!

I'll look out for the chocolate ball things next time I'm stocking up on biscuits :oops:

Nothing exciting or different. Home made mince pies (should have brought you some Groovychook to barter with really!) and After Eights so far. Darent give in to anything else yet or I'll just spend the whole month eating!

That's quite alright! I haven't made my mincemeat yet... must do it this week, although as soon as I do, I'll be scoffing mince pies non stop too!

We have Sinterklaas, a bishop arriving from Spain to give gifts to kids on his birthday (today! 5th of December!). He comes by steamship and has his helpers (Pieten) which travel through the chimney to put small gifts in the shoes of kids in the days running up to the 5th of December. Sinterklaas travels by white horse of the roofs of the houses.

The Pieten give Kruidnoten and Pepernoten to kids.

Other stuff, which are traditional sweets/treats, are speculaas (spicy biscuits, possibly filled with a sweet almond paste type thing) and borstplaat, which a sort of biscuits made of sugar with cream or butter.

Writing all this makes my fillings protest a bit... :lol: