Roksteddie

Locking mechanism at back of Eglu go up fox proof?

This is a run on from my last post about losing all my girls to a fox. I specifically wanted to ask here about the mechanism at the back. Does anyone think it's possible for a fox to unlock it? Anyone seen a fox specifically targeting that area? Having tried the mechanism myself a few times since the incident I'm in 2 minds. On one hand it isn't particularly difficult for a human to turn the k"Ooops, word censored!" and release the door. On the other hand I find it hard to believe that a fox would have the dexterity to manipulate it with its paws/teeth...

If it is that there is a weak point there - that foxes can gain access with a bit of persistence, then I may have to rethink keeping chickens in an eglu or keeping them at all. I'd hate to have the same thing happen all over again.

I think there was some discussion a while back about Raccoons learning how to undo them (in the US, obviously). I can't imagine that a fox would be able to though, unless it wasn't fully latched in the first place. I've done that before, twisted it enough to just hold it shut, but not enough to feel the "click" as it fully shuts.

I just wanted to share as had the most awful experience last night when I lost my two best hens to the dreaded fox. The back of the Eglu Go Up was on the floor when I got up in the morning. I can only assume that we had not locked it properly last night. I thought I had checked it, but in the rain, can't remember whether I checked the lock, I know it looked closed. I am heartbroken.

We're putting some new hens in but I am nervous that we have a very clever fox who can open the back even if locked - I am looking for reassurance!!

Thanks.

49 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Sorry to hear that. I know some people use a bungy cable around the back of the Eglu. Attaching it to the run on either side for extra protection. 

Thank you, that's a really good idea I'll do that, if nothing else it will remind me to check the lock. I'm so cross and upset with myself I'm usually so careful.

Don’t beat yourself up over it. It can happen to any of us with a determined enough fox. It’s like protecting your house against burglary: you can only make it a bit more difficult than your neighbours and hope they think it’s not worth it. But no house is absolutely impenetrable.

2 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

Don’t beat yourself up over it. It can happen to any of us with a determined enough fox. It’s like protecting your house against burglary: you can only make it a bit more difficult than your neighbours and hope they think it’s not worth it. But no house is absolutely impenetrable.

Thanks. This is the first time we've lost chickens. I just hope it was quick....