panicum

Nesting box modifications in Eglu Go Up

Hi,

I have a Cube and I like the separate nesting box (or at least I will when my pullets start laying). I had the opportunity to get an Eglu Go Up last weekend with 4 chickens closer to laying age then my own. At least she thought it was four hens but one of them turns out to be a cockerel!

I'm wondering if anyone has done anything to make the nest box in the Go Up more private and less accessible at night for chickens to sleep in? I'm thinking curtains, and how to attach them or something that takes up the space in the nest box that can be put in in the evening and taken out in the morning.

Just curious to see if anyone else thinks the nest box in the Go Up is lacking and has done anything about it.

Mine just get on with it and I place a plant pot in the nest dip at night to deter my broody (not working, she is rather determined)

Instead of tinkering on the Go Up, why not just place one of those wooden or plastic seperate nesting boxes in there?

Mine just get on with it and I place a plant pot in the nest dip at night to deter my broody (not working, she is rather determined)

Instead of tinkering on the Go Up, why not just place one of those wooden or plastic seperate nesting boxes in there?

My vision of your hen trying to make herself comfortable on the plant pot made me laugh out loud.

That's a great idea! Last night I put one of those excelsior nesting pads with a couple of fake eggs in it hoping to deter them from sleeping there (and to offer a little encouragement :clap: ), but I like your idea of the nesting box better (or the planter until the time comes).

I'm probably overthinking this...I'm known for that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now, on to figuring out how to do a signature.

Pat

I think you need a certain number of posts before you can post photos and make a signature. But it is easily done under the User Control Panel.

I wouldn't worry too much, they will figure it out themselves. I have 5 bantams and currently one broody hogging the the nest dip. That does make it a little bit more difficult for the less confident hens to go in and lay, but they still manage somehow.

We've got the Go Up and it did cross my mind when ordering it about a lack of dedicated nesting area.

Our girls just get on with it though... there's often 2 sleeping in the nest, but when it comes to laying thy just take it turns. I've yet to find an egg on the bars.

I’m having issues with my three in a go up. They fight for the nest as in plopping on top of or squeezing in from the side. My buff is broody, which I’ve never had happen in a 6+ month old hen. They often all want the nest at the same time. Any suggestions would be helpful.