emmalou

Omlet eglu and auto door

The new Cube is automatic door opener ready so to speak:

Coming in 2018....Omlet’s first ever automatic door opener! The new Eglu Cube comes ready prepared with special fixing points inside the house so that the Auto Door fits seamlessly to it. When your Omlet Auto Door arrives all you need to do is attach it with four bolts. Sign up for the newsletter to be the first to hear about it.

This is what is on the Omlet website.

I have recently fitted an automatic door opener to the Eglu Go Up. Its working perfectly so far (a few weeks) closing the door after dusk and opening it at daylight. Its by Hentronix and was very easy to fit too. Not cheap, but gives me great peace of mind if Im going to be home late, ( and will mean that I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn as the days get light earlier!

What happens if one bird is late going to roost and gets shut out?

This happened the very first time I used it, but as it WAS the first time I was on hand to check. Never happened since. The auto closer can be set to a timer rather than dusk/dawn if preferred. I think its great.

I have never had a problem, if I am honest; if i am going to be later back, then i just leave them in the run. They put themselves in to roost. My runs are all secure, so i never shut the housing door anyhow.

Aren't you worried about the freezing weather?

Not at all, it's not nearly cold enough to bother them. Chickens have a body temperature of 105deg, so think of a human with a raging temperature. That is all insulated with a feather duvet. Being a farm woman by origin, I tend not to anthropomorphise my critters. They will be fine :D

I only ever shut the doors once, when it went below -6deg.

I also have the hentroix door closer & it is fab....I upgraded my Mk1 Cube to the Mk11 one last year as Omlet said the opener was coming summer 2017! I was going on holiday & didn't want my mum & her zimmer frame having to go out in the rain to shut them in at night - mine free range the garden

It works really well and it has to be very dark before it shuts, I have add chickens since having it & have never had one locked out