Purplemaniacs

End of an era.

I have been rather absent from the forum recently, in the past I have been an active omleteer.

Life has been busy and we've had a few issues over the last few years( burglary, neighbour who told others it was my fault there were rats in the area, three granddaughters to look after, OH away a lot, DD doing degree, DS getting married......).

Chickens have taken a bit of a back seat. Yesterday I took advantage of the reasonable weather and have emptied, cleaned and will put into storage my 2 eglus. The bantams and little silkie cockerel that I hatched have all passed away. Sad to look out and not see the eglus.

I do still have the walk in run with a cube attached and an eglu inside. I just have two little bantams left now, again ones I hatched.

Feel rather sad at the lack of feathered friends.

In March it will be 10 years since I had my first Omlet hens so to mark this anniversary I plan to get some more chickens to go in the WIR.

I hope you and your feathered friends all have a good 2018.

Chrissie

Thanks for your replies. It is sad to have no chooks in an eglu and run. For the last nine years I have had some in an eglu and eglu run or extended run.

I have loved the eglu. I am in the minority on here as I prefer the eglu to the cube but I know the cube attached to the WIR is a good option.

I am quite looking forward to getting new girls. I think I will go for some hybrid this time. In the past I've had two lovely groups of ex batts from Brackley. Also some Omlet girls and two lots of other hybrids. Then I hatched a couple of times, both times bantams which was great but hatching is not really an option at the moment. Plus I would like some eggs as I have been buying eggs for ages now.

Chrissie

Hi Purpleywurpley! I come on here sometimes, mainly in the crafty section and still tempted by weather reports! LOL! Sorry about the not so nice news and sad news, but happy for you regarding the nice news and the more chickens news!

It'll be May when I'll have had chickens for 10 years. We have one hatchling left - 9 years and Eglu's last babe who will be 10. I do miss seeing them all around like you. But this is THE year when we move. :dance: Thankfully Mrs Mostin will be keeping the girls temporarily while we sort out the garden and put the house on the market. We will have to think slightly smaller regarding the smallholding (no alpacas booooohooo) but a more manageable sized smallholding since his lordship had a heart attack last year - but he's been given the big all clear so full steam ahead. Can't wait for more birdies! The cube has taught me that it's a good thing to have, but I'll be getting a proper sized walk in run because I'm not so good at Quasimodo impersonations nowadays!

With regard to the Eglu - I did love that for holding newbies in (funny how the youngest newbies didn't last as long as the others) but I like the idea of having that on a table with a ramp so I don't need to bend down - it's been really useful as an alternative nest box area when "I vant to be alone" Squirt was hogging the cube. At the moment the run has been detached and used as a covered dirt bath area!