Luvachicken

Blasted rat !!! Video added

Just been catching up on my rat cam photos and videos to find ratty has managed to squeeze through the Omlet run bars :evil:

He manages to get in and out !!!!!

Horrible creature.

When I first got my chickens, almost 9 years ago now, the main reason for getting an Omlet run was because they claimed, at the time, that it was fox proof and rodent proof.

Omlet have since removed the bit about rodents.

I have shut my girls in over night for the last couple of days to keep them safe.

I have removed all of their food and water and their pecking treats.

I am really hoping that the rat is tempted by a tasty pecan fixed into the rat trap with melted chocolate (now set).

It seems to set the trap off without being caught :evil:

When we can work out how to post videos I will show you how easily it actually gets in.

Edited by Guest

I sympathise with you and would be very interested in seeing your video if you can post it. I too have been plagued by rats especially since the builders moved in behind us and removed the old dilapidated chicken sheds from the old battery farm.

I have been out in the garden today sorting out the hens enclosure now the girls are all together in the one coop and run. Lost count of the time the cheeky rat kept visiting! Wherever I looked I found another hole/tunnel - one tunnel went under the tray of the coop and up into the run totally bypassing the wire mesh skirt of the run, luckily it's the spare coop ( wooden, not Omlet's ) I use for introduction so has now been moved.

The 2 rat bait boxes have been refilled but am beginning to think that it's a losing battle - costing a fortune in bait which doesn't seem to work anymore.

What trap do you have? Does it kill the rat? And if not, what do you do with the caught rat? I think we need to try something else.

The rat trap we have is an enclosed one and it is a killing one.

We know it works because we have caught a few mice in it before.

I thought maybe the rat was too big for the hole but having seen him get into my run I think he is just too clever :evil:

If we catch it I will put its skanky body in the bin.

We used to have a friendly trap but all we caught in that was a hedgehog (just once)

I felt really sorry for it as we had stopped it searching for food and didn't use the friendly trap again.

I know it would be hard work but could you fix wire meld onto omlet WIR. I thought it looked too big a mesh and emailed them to ask was it rodent proof,they said no. It is such a nice shape and I wanted it for my cube, it is strange they don’t change it.Perhaps you need to put a few boxes about, I think if rentokil are doing it they put lots down.

I know it would be hard work but could you fix wire meld onto omlet WIR. I thought it looked too big a mesh and emailed them to ask was it rodent proof,they said no. It is such a nice shape and I wanted it for my cube, it is strange they don’t change it.Perhaps you need to put a few boxes about, I think if rentokil are doing it they put lots down.

We were thinking of doing that :D

But although I am not old yet my bones are getting less bendy than they were 9 years ago :lol: so I was thinking that I should get a new bit of run so I don't have to clamber from the nice tall wooden bit of the run to the low down Omlet part.

I looked at adding the top layer of the Omlet run but apparently I have a mark 1 version and need to phone them.

Then my son said it would look silly having different sized bits of run so I am thinking to just get more wooden run instead, with nice small wire.

This afternoon though, we are going to put some wire for now over some of the Omlet run, so at least it makes it a bit more difficult.

I tried to have a good look at the runs in the run section but sadly there are not so many photos to look at since photobucket ruined everything.

Brrrr that's one big rat! :shock:

seen bigger than that

rule of thumb if a rat or squirrel can get it's head trough a gap then it'll get it's body through. the smallest hole I've seen

25mm square weld mesh should keep them out but if it's to thin a gauge they will chew through it mice will get through through without stopping to think about it

Goodness, luvachicken yuck. I think I would rather not know the goings on at night. I got my WIR from Flyte so fancy,quite pricey. I then added to it via a local chap who was advertising on gumtree. He had them listed as aviaries. If you had time am sure they are easy enough to make with timber and wire meld. At least you can get them big enough to walk in.

Brrrr that's one big rat! :shock:

I'm hoping he just looks big on screen :shock:

25mm is not very big is it ?

These horrible creatures must be very determined to get through such small spaces.

Still considering what to buy next .....

a Jack Russell :lol:

Sympathise - two years now have had a rat, since my neighbour's total wilderness of a garden was completely cleared. Last year found himself a cheap hotel under the roosting bars of the Cub - just slept overnight, vacated by morning. Put small gauge wire all round bottom of WIR.

This year found tunnelling inside WIR - he'd also stashed a load of food under a large plant pot in their run. Demolished his house to find him pop out and charge up the WIR and through the large holes at the top. Then he was back to taking up residence under the roosting bars, also with a stash of food. Have managed to stop that by folding a small piece of wire mesh just inside door but blocking his entry under the bars.

How he gets and carry the food I'm not sure as it is a hanging feeder. I could do with a rat cam!

Last year found himself a cheap hotel under the roosting bars of the Cub - just slept overnight, vacated by morning.

Do you mean he was literally sleeping under the roosting bars :shock: ?

I have a Cube but I'm hoping the poop trays would stop him going under the roosting bars or do you think he got in some other way ?

Do you have bait boxes down?

I have one nasty killing trap loaded with chocolate and a pecan nut but I wasn't sure if you were asking jasperalice that question.

Nothing else as yet.

On film he gets very close to going in the trap but just doesn't go far enough in :evil: