Luvachicken

Blasted rat !!! Video added

Last year found himself a cheap hotel under the roosting bars of the Cub - just slept overnight, vacated by morning.

Do you mean he was literally sleeping under the roosting bars :shock: ?

I have a Cube but I'm hoping the poop trays would stop him going under the roosting bars or do you think he got in some other way ?

Indeed he was, just made a cosy little bed and hopped out in the morning. As I'm not living at home at the moment thru' building work - I can't shut their pophole - although they get a daily visit from me - ratty goes up the ladder and under the tiny gap between the top and the roosting bars. The chickens don't seem bothered but I was. Now its blocked he's obviously reluctant to confront the chickens and sleep with them!

Do you have bait boxes down?

I have one nasty killing trap loaded with chocolate and a pecan nut but I wasn't sure if you were asking jasperalice that question.

Nothing else as yet.

On film he gets very close to going in the trap but just doesn't go far enough in :evil:

That's so funny (video) - reminds me of our pet rats long gone now. Amazing how they can get in the tiniest spaces. Even my daughter's round ball of a wattie - when they are determined they'll get in. But pets are different. I hope he gets to enjoy the choccy nut.

I don't think we have them at the moment - touch wood and whistle - but it doesn't mean they aren't out there somewhere. The neighbours moved back in - with their schnauzer - and we certainly haven't seen any at the top of the house in daylight - which is when they were around! Down the end no bait has been touched at all for some time. I've renewed it because it can get damp but nada.

On the other hand the wood mice are back. I love those little things - until they munch my veggies!

Ratty seems to have disappeared :dance:

He has not been spotted on my camera for ages.

The last time we caught him in the run, he stole a Salt and Vinegar Pringle, left to tempt him into the trap and we haven't seen him since.

I read that they were meant to like salt .... I didn't know it could send him packing :lol:

I've had pet rats for years and they are the most fantastic, intelligent and clean animals. When I got the Omlet coop and run originally and it said 'rodent proof' I thought yeah right...I've seen rats fit through gaps much smaller than those bars.

The rat on the video is a young female so she will fit through small gaps easily (when she's not pregnant). Larger males would have more trouble as they are much bigger.

I had a rat in my compost bin a few years back and wasn't too happy about it living in there and setting up shop...and potentially having a family. So I blocked off all entry points, stopped putting food waste in there for a while and bought a humane trap. The trap never caught it (it managed to take the food but not set it off?!) bur eventually when the food source was taken away it went elsewhere.

Please try to discourage rats from visiting rather than killing them! They're just trying to get by and are no more dirty/clean than other animals...although I would be similarly keen to get rid of it if there was one around my chickens! They will only go where there is food/warmth so get rid of those two things and voila.

Not sure whether to laugh at that or roll my eyes!

Personally, while I am usually happy to live alongside local wildlife, live and let live etc, I am not usually too charitable towards rats. I remember one that used to take eggs and chicks from my grandfolks' chooks; my grandad caught it coming out of the bank by the stream and 'caught' it with a shovel. He only just beat their terriers to it!

:lol: It's cute. Quite old for a wattie too. We've had pet rats here. All such funny characters. Did love them all. Even my daughter had to have some more when she moved out. Sadly the last one went in November (over 2 and a half) and she was a very tubby thing that managed to get underneath their sofa . . . and chew the carpet! They put ball pond plastic balls in the way and then filmed the chucking of the balls out of the way by a grumpy furball! You could feel the vibes! :lol: