Grandmashazzie

Himalayan Salt Lamp

Following on from a thread in All Things Nice re kefir I was reordering some and saw they sold these lamps.I have seen salt lamps for sale on pop up shops and never looked at them before. On reading info they send negative ions continuously into the room,when on and it is claimed this is good for allergies, arthritis etc etc. Does anyone have one? Any thoughts on this as I have seasonal rhinitis and the dog has irritated eyes. I wonder would it be beneficial.

:think: I bought one yonks ago......more for aesthetic purposes than medical ones and I've certainly not noticed any difference! I've no doubt that the claims have some merit although I do think it would have to be a pretty big lamp to have any pronounced effect!

That said, they are pretty and give a nice glow so, if you like the look of them, maybe worth a try! Prices do vary though - I've seen some really expensive ones which look no different, composition or size wise, from the one I bought from a shop in Glastonbury ( :roll::lol: )

The chemist in me is pretty doubtful if this works.

The boiling point of salts is really high. Into the thousands degrees. For ions to spontaneously get airborn is has to reach near boiling point. You are never going to reach that with a lamp, and really wouldn't want to either...

I bought a small one in the Urban Outfitters sale last year (brother got staff discount), not noticed it get damp but annoyingly it has a colour changing bulb so it a bit tacky! It's sitting under one of my cow skulls ...just to be extra tacky :roll::lol:

Might look at getting a bigger one for my room at Uni as I need a new lamp.

I phoned the helpline,apparently I needed to goggle Lidl N Ireland not Lidl UK for stores. I then said I was looking for a salt lamp and would she know if different stores had them. They were £9.99 here. All gone! She said they all sold out very quickly and the call centre has been inundated with people looking for them. I have gone to Amazon and ordered one at not too much more.