emmalou

Solway coops

We live in France and want to try and upgrade to a Solway coop for easy cleaning. However we have temperatures of 38 degrees in yhe summer and wanted to know whether these attract the heat? I can move ot into a shaded area but with temps of that strength I am not sure they will be too hot.

Thank you. I wanted an Omlet but the auto door we have does not fit. I know an Omlet is plastic as it the Clever chicken coops but Solway ones seem to be recycled materials so wasn't sure. They have a wood coop at the mo with a window I can leave open which is great for the summer. Just need something with plenty of ventilation and not sure plastic one have much.

They look very similar to my Green Frog coop.  When it got hot here (for a week lol) I noticed that the coop was noticeably cooler inside than the outside heat.  The recycled plastic didn't attract the heat and that was something I was worried about too.  I know it's not the same as the Solway ones but it's closer than the Omlet ones.

That is interesting as I contacted Greenfrog and they were very up front with me and said that they could not advise I bought a Greenfrog coop as they think the temperatures down here are extreme, +38 and -15 so thought I needed to look at some other make. 

I wanted an Omlet originally but can't as they do not work with a chicken guard auto door opener. Was waiting for the new Omlet coop which apparantely suits all door openers but not sure whether it will work or when it will be out. Solway were also cheaper.

We are in France and have a Solway in the front garden Emmalou. It gets to 42C down here and we were worried about heat. Last Summer was the first time it had been used so we positioned it under a Plane tree in dense shade. Got to 38C with no problems. Generally my only criticism is poor ventilation, although it's an old coop and things may have improved, so the pop-hole has to be left open in mid-Summer. It's within an electrified run so is rarely secure. We've positioned it so the access door is to the West so the side gets the sun and the winds are west-East or East to West here, so the best orientation for the vents at either end.

Thank you. I am still not sure. I have been looking for ages for the perfect coop and there doesn't seem to be one. There seeems to be one vent on the Solway. Currently we have a wood coop with one window which I can leave open in the Summer. It was my neighbour that put me off but think he has a point. They are so dear to buy that is why I am reluctant to buy one. Whilst they clean brilliantly the ventilation does concern me

The Solway has vents at either end Emmalou. The ones above the pop-hole are fixed open and the one above the access door at the other end can be closed down in varying degrees. I agree with you, there isn't a perfect coop as all chickens or usages have different requirements. We have bantam coops, broody or rearing coops, breeding coops for large fowl (so the pop-hole is very big to suit a tall cockerel) and standard coops designed for 10 layers maximum with 3 nest boxes. The Solway only has one nest box but is great for the occupants because they both have one good leg only. As it sits on the floor access isn't a problem and as it's plastic it won't rot.

The difference being that the Omlet products have a double shell construction, which is insulating. Solway and Green Frog housing doesn't have this and does tend to overheat.

Personally I would avoid auto-closers; I have heard some nasty stories about them going wrong and birds being left out in the run. My Omlet cube runs are all set up on slabs with Aubiose on top - I am confident enough that they are secure, so never shut the housing doors at night. I wouldn't want to suggest that anyone else takes this risk, but the omlet runs and housing are pretty damned secure if installed properly.

I think auto door openers only seem to be a problem if you rely on light settings. I always close mine an hour after they go to bed to avoid this. I have had mine in for two years and has been 100% reliable so far. Even when they battery goes a light illuminates for a while beforehand and it doesn't just pack up.