Laura007

Prolapsed vent

One of my chooks has what im fairly surw is a prolapsed vent. Ive mamaged to pop it back in but within 15 mins its out again. Ive tried again but its proving really difficult and doesn't seem to want to stay in. She seems bright and alert and is drinking but I dont know how long she will stay like that. 

Any suggestions? 

Trip to the vet. I had a hen with a prolapse. First time I managed to get it in and it stayed in for a few months. Second time got it back in, but she was really unhappy and trip to the vet for her to be pts sadly.

There are sites that tell you to cover the prolapse with honey to shrink it, but no personal experience with it and not much faith.

3 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

There are sites that tell you to cover the prolapse with honey to shrink it, but no personal experience with it and not much faith.

No experience of it either, but there could be something in it: honey has anti-bacterial properties and can also work as a mild astringent.

It really depends on how big it is but that fact that you got it in and it stayed in for a bit is good. Sugar is also an astringent so will draw moisture out and shrink it.

I would pop it back in and keep her in a warm dark box overnight, if it comes out again take her to a chicken savvy vet.

1 hour ago, Laura007 said:

It was out again and water is just going right through her so ive taken her to the vet. 

She is now scratching around for corn in the big coupe in the sky. 

🐔🌽🌈

Oh no! Was there nothing the vet could do to help? :(