Scary Mary

National Trust AGM

Any of you Omleteers  who are National Trust members will have received your AGM voting papers.

This year we have a Members motion requiring the National Trust to ban and eventually phase out the use of barbed wire on its land.

We have had some nasty cases of deer being caught in barbed wire locally, and dying there or having to be euthanized.  Henley Standard March 30th and Early August.  The first case was trapped in recently erected barbed wire on National Trust Land.

The forestry commission says barbed wire should not be used any where  deer are present and the RSPCA concur with the Forestry commissions advice.

The National Trust’s attitude  Is that this is a very rare occurrence and deer will go around barbed wire where possible.  We live in a heavily wooded area and the deer paths are clearly visible leading up to and beyond barbed wire. We also have a number of dogs requiring veterinary attention after encountering the stuff too!

Please could you give it some consideration and exercise your right to vote instead of throwing all the gumph away (as I usually do).

• Like 1

Sorry, after a number of yearsI am not an NT member on principal - I don't agree with the direction that they have taken recently and the 'co ertion' that has been applied to volunteers with regard to a number of issues - detailed in the media within the last year. A classic case of the 'overlords' losing track with the ground root members. Voting with my feet (and bank account) and now English Heritage all the way with me!

I have opted out for the NT for the same reasons as above

Deer can jump fences up to about 6 foot, depending on the size of the deer, it is unusual, but not unknown for them to get trapped in barbed wire - they aren't very bright. Having said that, I am vehemently against the stuff, having had dogs injured by being caught in it. Cyrus once had the front of his chest ripped open by some, which had been left dangling near a footpath we were on.

Good luck with the motion.