Mikegm

Very timid?

Just purchased 4 POL....2 white Sussex, 2 copper Marian's. Bought from a local breeder, so more a business than pets. Had them just over a week now, very timid so not yet feeding from my hand, (as I have experienced in past)..they tend to move back when my hand advances with some feed...are they still getting used to me, they are very unsure...just a matter of time??

Try taking them out of the nesting box at night for a cuddle.  And give them a few treats before they go to bed so they associate you with pleasure. Having said that some you never ‘tame’.  Breeds differ too.  My aracaunas are always stand offish.  The friendliest chickens  I have I know have been handled regularly since hatching.  

I’ve never had any chickens who liked being held or cuddled. My pekins who were ten weeks old when I got them liked to sit on me but only on their terms. My Wyandottes who came to me at 18 months will scream blue murder if I so much as touch them. They will all take treats from my hands though - just be patient and keep trying to tempt them with their favourite treats and I’m sure you’ll get them eating from your hand.

It does look like the pekin I hatched this year may be a bit more of a cuddly chicken.