Natspringy

Now lame on healing toe

Hi all,

Would love your thoughts, intend to go to vets but you guys are often a great guide for them! So in August Crumb ripped her nail off. I took her to vets (I didnt know how to treat properly) who trimmed it right down and wound powered. I've kept a close eye and all has been fine. But today I noticed her in the nest box whilst the others are all up. Got her out to have a look and it's peeling a little and she's lame on it. I've given it a wash and salvon as it seemed quite dry.  Didn't do much more as vets probably need to see it properly. She seems okay in herself just very careful of her foot. Does it sound infected do you think?  I'll call the vets when they open but was hoping you guys might know what's up. Bless her she's just finished a moult too.

Thanks guys.

Edited by Natspringy

It doesn’t sound infected but that doesn’t mean it isn’t. As I understand it chicken ‘pus’ is much harder than mammals so may not be hot the same. 

I cant really help with what may be wrong though - I’m surprised she’s fully lame on that foot if it’s just the one toe that’s the problem. It’s hard to tell but I think my young pekin ‘Duck’ has a useless toe after hatching with a curled foot (although I guess a painful toe would be different to a just useless one).

Hope the vet can help.

• Thanks 1

I agree, doesn't sound infected, but it's hard to be sure without seeing it. If it's infected, you will usually be able to detect a hot spot, swelling or redness. If you're at all in doubt, then get her to the vet. I always say ion my courses that some people feel happy dealing with stuff at home, which would put others off - it's all down to experience.

• Thanks 1