sarkymite

Lice and using xeno 450

Hi all

I know there's loads of old threads on this already but there's so much conflicting advice and info.

I found lice and nits on one bird. Absolutely no sign of them on the other five, so am hoping I've found them early!

I've got some Xeno 450 spot on. I have 2 questions:

1) Dose. Pack says only for birds over 666g. Firstly, does this mean I can't treat my bantam? She weighs less than this. Secondly, pack says 1 drop per 100g weight. That's 31 drops on my biggest bird and between 15 to 20 on the others (except my bantam...). Seriously? A lot of threads are suggesting two drops per bird.

2) Egg withdrawal. Ivermectin is used all over the world, very safely, in humans. Provided I don't sell them, do i really, really need to withdraw eggs for a week?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions folks.😁

Thanks Lewis. I will treat the bantam too, just as soon as I've worked out what dose I should administer! 

The strength of this one is 450mg per pipette. Each pipette contains approx 20 drops, delivering 22.5mg of active ingredient per drop.

If I follow the dosing instructions on the pack that's 1.5 pipettes on my biggest bird. This strikes me as a lot!

I think it's down to the concentration, as Lewis says.

I use Ivomec Eprinex* on mine and the dosage is far less than that. If you treat with a Ivermectin-based product regularly (I do mine quarterly) you should be able to say goodbye to any lice/mites.

If the affected bird has loads, then your vet would probably recommend that you also spray her on the skin of affected areas - so around the vent - with a permethrin-based spray*. Do 2 treatments 3 days apart, repeating once more if there are still live lice.

*not licenced for use on poultry in the UK