Patricia W

Syrian hamster in a Qute

I’ve just bought a preloved Qute for my granddaughter.  The lovely family I bought it from said that they’d had to have a second cage which their hamster moved to at night so he could use a bigger wheel.   I was told that the wheel that comes with the Qute is too small for a Syrian.  

Anyone else know about this?

We have always had dwarf Russians until last year, when YS fell in love with a Syrian (at Notcutts :D) so we needed a bigger cage than the ones we'd previously used. We decided to go for one with three levels and wire for him to climb although the wheel it came with did seem small. So we bought the biggest wheel that we could find - it may even be one for rats?! - and replaced the original one.  The hammys stretch out length ways so much when on the wheel that they do need lots of room. Can you buy a bigger wheel (non Omlet) that will fit the Qute and just change it over? Pets at Home do a good range (or did the last time we were there) and there's one opposite the John Allen Centre in Cowley.

It does seem a huge faff to have to move hammy to another cage each night and then have to clean out two!

Thanks, Soapy.  I’ll get her a big wheel, try it in the Qute and if we can’t get it in, try and get another pre- loved cage for the night time run round like this family had.     They aren’t actually getting the hamster till they’ve had some building work done so I’ve got a bit of time. 

My syrian uses the Omlet wheel. Haven’t had any problems yet.

My Syrian did decide to remodel the Qute, has pulled out the plastic covers of the screws in the side and chew at the wood. Have had gerbils in the Qute for three years without problems, but this Hamster is more destructive...