Grandmashazzie

Ear Infection

Hi, wise ones. I wonder if anyone else has had ear problems. I have a long history of ear problems since childhood resulting in a permanent perforated ear. I haven’t had any issues for years until 3 weeks ago when I woke up with ear discharge. Seen by GP and given usual penicillin antibiotics. These didn’t really do anything so was seen at beginning of this week and given ear drops. On reading leaflet it said not to be used if ear is perforated,rang  receptionist who spoke to GP who said they should be okay. This didn’t fill me with confidence and I held off until swab result came back, I now have been prescribed different drops which also say don’t use if ear is perforated! My daughter is a pharmacist and she says doctors don’t always know the contraindications of all the different meds and I am left not really knowing what to do. When I rang last time I felt I was being a pest and now I may have to ring again. Has anyone used drops with ear perforation and no ill effects.

My husband also has a lifelong history of ear problems. He’s got an infection at the moment. From long experience he knows he needs antibiotic ear drops and nothing else will literally hit the problem.  So he tells the doctor what he wants.   His ear drum isn’t perforated though.  I can ask him the name if the drops if you like? 

Thank you Patricia, I got to speak to my GP who reassured me that ENT consultants prescribe drops even when ear is perforated despite leaflet warning. She said I definitely got wrong script as it was eye drops I was given and if that medicine is used in ear it needs to be stronger. She then changed it to Gentamycin. So hope it works.

• Confused 1