soapdragon

Advice Required Regarding Jasmine!

I absolutley adore Jasmine and OH  bought me a huge one last week - lucky me! The flowers have started to open and it smells wonderful but some of the flowers (open and buds) are turning brown and wilting and I don't know why. I have watered it but don't want to over water...its in a basket with a plastic liner so water might sit at the bottom and flood the roots? I've tried to poke holes into the plastic liner through the basket but it's tough stuff! Have also moved it into a brighter position.

Can any green fingered peeps offer some sage advice please? I really don't want to kill the poor thing and can't bear seeing the brown buds and flowers!

Do you mean the white indoors variety?  I would repot.  It might have vine weavle (Sp?)but more likely it’s not got enough drainage.  The roots are simply rotting away.  

Once you’ve repotted, water sparingly, but you can mist the flowers, which might help you keep them. 

Edited by Patricia W

Than you...yes, it's the white fragrant variety and I've managed to get it out of it's basket and stood the pot in a bowl. Roots are peeping out the bottom of the pot so I gave it a root water and cut off the dead, brittle bits and most of the brown flowers and buds. Would it be too much of a shock to re pot whilst it is in full flower though? I'm hopeless with houseplants; I have been known to kill ivy!

I wouldn’t normally move or disturb any plant that is flowering but if it is severely pot-bound I would be tempted to move it to a larger pot with minimal root disturbance.  The addition fresh compost around the edges of the pot might even help if the existing compost is ‘spent’

it needs good light with some direct light - south facing window sill is ideal.  While it is growing/flowering it should be kept watered but not waterlogged.  The compost should be moist at all times but not soggy.   Allowing to go dry out will turn leaves, buds and flower down quite quickly.  If the room is very dry you can mist the leaves.  The plant will moderate temperatures but not too hot and needs a cooler room when dormant 

My Mum was very green fingered and loved jasmine.   My childhood home was like a jungle with houseplants.

i can grow aquatic plants beautifully and anything outdoors.  I tend to torture houseplants.   I start out well then forget to water them.  When they start to dry out I move them to the kitchen window, inches from the tap, and prolong their slow demise