Luvachicken

Zoe died today and now I'm worried about one of the others

Zoe, who would have been 5 in July, died today.

I noticed she'd looked a bit peaky for a couple days, but I thought that was because she'd laid some softies. 

This morning she looked very sleepy and her breathing was a bit odd and all her facial features were quite dark. We managed to get her to the vet who said she didn't have a chest infection but her heart was beating oddly. She gave us antibiotics and said although she was poorly, she was hopeful she could make it as Zoe had been pecking at bits on the table. We got home and I gave her the medicine, she took the medicine so nicely, and I even managed to syringe her some water. I popped her in the broody cage indoors where she slept for about half an hour and then she sadly had some kind of fit, and died. I'm really upset that I didn't take her sooner.

The trouble is, tonight, I noticed one of the others looked a bit quieter than usual.

At bedtime Lily kicks out Molly and Polly. This leads to Molly chasing Polly all over the place and often sitting on her. Then Molly goes back in and Polly has to wait. Molly then goes back to bed only to be chased back out by Lily and then Molly starts chasing Polly all over again, until it is dark enough for them to get their spaces. Tonight, Molly didn't do that to Polly. I should add that although small, Zoe was in charge of Lily and Molly but Polly was in charge of Zoe. Molly actually went into bed second and didn't come back out. Just Lily chased Polly.

Now I don't know if Molly is ill too, or if it was actually her that has been laying the softies.

Typically half term is over so I won't be able to keep such an eye on her but I will check her tomorrow morning before I go to work.

• Sad 1

Luvachicken, that's so sad for you. Although its a bit hard to tell, it does sound as though Zoe had a heart issue, which is not unusual, given her age, and I would hope that there is no underlying problem with the others.  Losing one bird can slightly unsettle a flock, so try not to worry unduly, do your usual checking before and after work tomorrow, and we'll keep our fingers crossed the rest of the girls are all right.  I do love your description of bedtime; it shows you know your girls.

Thank you both 😊

I checked on them all this morning, then lunchtime and then just now when I got back from work.

They all seem fine.

There was another softie - which had been duly devoured - so I'm hoping that's why Molly was looking peaky last night.

There have been a few softies of late. They have tonic in their water and a big pot of grit - not that I really see any of them eat the grit. Is there anything else I've forgotten to give them ?

I’m really sorry to hear about Zoe, and obviously can’t say for sure, but I would tend to agree with Daphne and CT - sounds like she perhaps had a heart attack so nothing you could’ve done would’ve made any difference and it’s  unlikely the others would share it. 

Avipro avian is brilliant in their water but your tonic should do the same thing. 

Fingers crossed for you that we’re all right and your remaining girls are healthy. Neither of my two pekins who I’ve lost so far made it to 5 but I don’t think they were inherently very healthy.