soapdragon

Opening and Unpaid Case with E Bay

O wise ones....advice please! I have a few bits listed on E Bay as it was a 'pay no more than £1' last week. I had an offer of £20 on an item that I listed for a starting bid of £15 so was delighted and accepted as that was what I was hoping it might reach if it remained as an auction.

I sent the buyer an invoice and told him that I could post out that same day provided he had paid by 4.30pm (this was 11.30am.) Nothing. Nothing today either so I sent another e mail at 3.00pm saying I'd post today if payment cleared by 4.30pm but couldn't get to the PO tomorrow so otherwise it wouldn't go till Monday afternoon. Nothing. 

At what point do I report him to E Bay as a non payment? Given that I can't now post till Monday anyway should I send another reminder on Sunday if not paid by then and give him 24 hours to cough up? I'm a bit paranoid as I don't want him to kick off and spoil my 951 100% feedback! This may all seem a little premature but, having made an offer on the item rather then see the auction through to tomorrow morning which rather tells me he's keen to secure it, I'd have thought he would have paid by now or not at all!

7 minutes ago, AndyRoo said:

If I remember correctly, a buyer has up to 48 hours to pay before you can open an Unpaid Item case with eBay. You could try emailing him an invoice, that might give him a nudge?

Thank, Andyroo. I invoiced on acceptance of the offer and E Bay obviously send a seperate notification that his offer has been accepted; I just find it odd that there is total silence. Perhaps I'd better wait till Sunday........:doh:

Some users do this :roll: bid or offer on something, then shuffle off back into their burrows for the next decade - it does annoy me, and my listings have clear terms in the footnote, with regards to payment times.  This way I can refer to those terms if there is any delay. I am (as you'd expect ;)) pretty direct with them and message to ask them to pay up (for the nth time of asking) by X time on X date, and say that if they don't, I will cancel their offer and relist the item if they'd care to bid on it again.

So long as you're clear in your messages, eBay will see that if there is any dispute, and realise that you have been more than patient/helpful. If he does 'neg' you, then you can appeal to eBay to have it removed, and they will check your correspondence.

May I suggest a message along the lines of: "Hello, many thanks for your bid of £20 on my item number ****** on [date]; I have since messaged you twice advising that I will post as soon as I receive your payment, but not heard anything. If you are still interested in this item, please could you expedite payment by [time] on [date] and I will post it immediately. If I don't hear from you before that time, then I will assume that you are no longer interested and cancel your bid so that I may re-open the listing for the other watchers. You would be welcome to join the auction again provided you are able to honour your offer/bid with a payment." 

I hate folks who do that - it happens on Freegle too.

4 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Thank, Andyroo. I invoiced on acceptance of the offer and E Bay obviously send a seperate notification that his offer has been accepted; I just find it odd that there is total silence. Perhaps I'd better wait till Sunday........:doh:

I've been lucky I've never had to open a case with a buyer, but I did have someone leave it almost the full 48 hours before. A resend of the invoice prompted a payment within the hour. :)

Thank you, DM and AR! I have e mailed this evening and pointed out that I am still waiting for payment well over 48 hours after accepting their offer whilst my listing requests payment within 24 hours. Also that if I don't receive payment by 10.00pm Sunday I will have to open an upaids case with E Bay in order to get my sellers fee back otherwise I'll be out of pocket but that this will result in an unpaid being recorded on the 'buyers' account. Equally, if they have any probs with payment they should contact me to discuss.

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth the hassle - esp as I have 2 recent opened cases where I have not received items bought - one resolved by E Bay who refunded me and the other still open; item bought and paid for on 6th August and still not arrived and no communication from seller - doh :doh:>:(

Well, I now have 2 cases open! One for an item purchased as Buy It Now on 6th August with estimated E Bay delivery of 10/12th Aug.....not a sign or sniff of it yet even after a chasing e mail and opening a case on 17th! Also opened an unpaid case following the acceptance of the offer last Thursday and no further communication from 'buyer' in spite if two invoices, a e mail and the case opened on Sunday!

Makes me feel like I don't want to use E Bay again!

It certainly is but E Bay not letting me close it until 23rd August! I wouldn't relist until there was another £1 max fees anyway though...

The other item, ordered and paid on 6th Aug, has now been sent out in spite of me asking for a cancellation and refund as I've bought elsewhere. Seller 'claims' he put a note on his listing that he was away but, having checked back, he certainly didn't! Equally, he claims that E Bay froze his account due to hacking so he couldn't action anything!

13 minutes ago, soapdragon said:

The other item, ordered and paid on 6th Aug, has now been sent out in spite of me asking for a cancellation and refund as I've bought elsewhere. Seller 'claims' he put a note on his listing that he was away but, having checked back, he certainly didn't! Equally, he claims that E Bay froze his account due to hacking so he couldn't action anything!

There's always a reason! 🙄