Luvachicken

Moulting and itchy feet question.

My Pekins are moulting, some worse than others, but Molly seems to be suffering with her feet.

She keeps pecking at them and has made them bleed a little bit so I have put Sudocrem on them because I know that helps.

There are new feathers growing/ just starting to emerge. 

Are they irritating on their feet as they start to emerge ?

Is there anything else I can do ? The others don't seem to have a problem and they have fluffy feet too.

I am guessing (without having seen her) that the feathers are bothering her as they emerge. Some chickens are just more sensitive than others... bit like us humans. Sudocrem is good.

I have a feeling that Ducks ‘illness’ and head shaking a few weeks ago may have all been actually caused by so many new feathers pushing through around her head.

Could be - did you up her B vit intake with some NutriDrops? That speeds up feather growth and is also good for any nervous afflictions that occur around moulting time.

Yes I did but the vet also gave her 5 days of antibiotics (she said she had a slight temperature) so can’t say which (if either) made her better.

How’s Molly doing Luvachicken?

Molly has been less subdued, unfortunately, I've not been back until late the last couple of days and they've gone to bed, but I finish early tomorrow so will give her another check.

They are very clever and know that I am after them which makes it even more difficult to catch them. They all hide under the cube where they know I can't reach them.

I'm also worming them so can't trick them with treats. They only fell for the empty treat ball trick once :lol:

• Haha 1

Molly yesterday was still holding one foot off the ground.

I gave her another check over to find an awful lot of new feathers sprouting out of her feet, poor thing.

I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be.

• Sad 1