Also the person who is selling me the chickens advised the following

1. When you get them home, don't open the box/carrier in the garden or they will fly away never to,be seen again.

2. Put,them straight in the coop with the doors shut for a couple of hours to help, them calm down, then let them in the run

3. Keep them in the run with no free ranging for two weeks so,they know it's home and will return to the coop at dusk

2 minutes ago, mullethunter said:

All good advice

I think it's hilarious that I'm giving advice when I've never even looked after a chicken before in my life! The man I'm getting my chickens from was very impressed with how prepared I am. But as far as I'm concerned I'm just another person with "all the gear but no idea" in reality.

9 minutes ago, The Dogmother said:

I wouldn't bank on it! It's best to start with a good preventative regime than to have to tackle the inevitable infestation. Diatom doesn't really kill mites!

I want to use the minimum of chemicals as possible. If they come with red mite or get it I will buy some treatment but currently I have no space in my shed or cupboards for anymore chicken stuff! And my purse is empty! The British hen welfare trust recommends DE as an effective treatment

Edited by Microstead

14 minutes ago, Tricky78 said:

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply, it really is appreciated. 

No worries. I'm at the same stage as you are so I understand what sort of things you want to know. I'm getting my chooks at the weekend hopefully so have had to get everything I need in preparation. 

Have a look at my post hybrids v proper breeds as I started of asking about chickens, which then led to a discussion on bantams and then recommendations for bantams for beginners like me. I only asked the same question about a week ago. 

It also, depends upon what you want. Do you want eggs like I did. Do you mind if it doesn't look like a typical,chicken?

Silkies and Poland look lovely, but need more care due to,their feathering

Welsummers are good but apparently aren't as tame so don't make good starters

Pekins are lovely apparently but not great layers

Mullet hunter advised not to get anything that laid blue eggs (I think they are bit more wild and flighty. They also advised to stay away from any of the leg horns/bars for,the same reason. 

The person I'm getting my light and buff Sussex  and wyandotte from only advertised pekins and silkies and larger fowl. They are only just getting other birds in. It's very early in the season so lots won't be advertising yet. I'm only getting mine this weekend because I emailed them asking what they were going to,be selling soon. 

Im lucky in that the person I'm buying from only lives 10 min away and sid I can bring the chickens to him if they get I'll as lots of vets,don't know much about chickens. You might want to give a few local  places an email about what they have now or will have soon. 

Alternatively you will research the breeds and having chosen what you want find the nearest breeder. 

I've been told it's best not to get several different types of chicken from several different chicken breeder's as they will cross contaminate each other and likely get I'll. 

Edited by Microstead

Oh and I also purchased a snuggle safe (gentle microwaveable heat pad) I got this because I read a post by DM where she suggests using this under water bowls to stop it freezing which was another concern of mine. And I can use in the coop if the weather is really really cold, ev3n though they dont need it. I and my dog can also,use it whenever as a bonus. I got mine from eBay as it was the cheapest I could find at the time

Edited by Microstead