ThreeChooks

Chicken noise

2 hours ago, Cat tails said:

Mine use the hanging Pecky toy every day and does really work for me. I just fill it with they breakfast once it’s dark outside, otherwise they’ll scoff it all before bed. I used to get up at first squawk and sleepwalk outside to feed them. It would be 5:15 in hight of summer. Not too bad in the weekend when I would just stumble back to bed, but no so fun when having to work and being too awake to enjoy the last 30 minutes of “sleep”.

And even worse in winter I should imagine with the horrible weather!!!

I initially looked into getting a door opener, but they are so expensive,  especially the only one for the up. But one day, whilst reading on this forum, I saw a number of posts about leaving the coop door open at night (if it's in a relatively secure low predator  place) and one particular post, possibly yours CT, about also using the peck toy to ensure they had food first thing, so as to prevent them not cause a scene at dawn and irritating the neighbours, and also ensuring the food didn't encourage pests. I knew then that I wouldn't need a door opener. 

Hey all, just thought I’d give an update on the noise/honking!

They have been better I feel, over the past few days, today I heard the ‘honking’ noise at about 2 in the afternoon, lasted about 20-30 seconds I guess? It makes me wince when I hear it still, but I guess the living room (where I was at the time) backs on to the garden so it would be a bit louder. I am a bit nervous as tomorrow I am back at work so will have to let them out at about 7.30 and I’m praying for no honking at that time!

I am trying to worry a lot less about the noise, today the non problem Pekin I think laid an egg without a fuss (no egg song). I like the egg song and that noise doesn’t bother me too much anyway, just the honking, I will have to explain to the neighbours that I don’t have geese, haha.

I’ve read that the honking noises are just a sign of them reaching puberty, and after this, erm... pleasant stage of their voices breaking, I will get the nicer sounding chicken noises as they get older, is this true? Is there at least a chance that these noises will stop?

Edited by ThreeChooks

Is it light enough at 7.30am to let them out of the run? It certainly isn't here!

At the moment, I let them out at 08:30 when I leave for work, but ONLY if I am coming back at lunchtime to ut them back in. If I am not leaving work until 17:00, then they stay in the run all day. That last egg, doesn't look like a pekin egg to me.

1 hour ago, The Dogmother said:

Is it light enough at 7.30am to let them out of the run? It certainly isn't here!

At the moment, I let them out at 08:30 when I leave for work, but ONLY if I am coming back at lunchtime to ut them back in. If I am not leaving work until 17:00, then they stay in the run all day. That last egg, doesn't look like a pekin egg to me.

Sorry, I mean to let them out of their coop at that time before I go to work, they are allowed in the garden when myself or my partner are around, which is currently on a tuesday and every weekend or if either of us has time off. If neither of us are in they stay in the run. Eventually when it’s still light in the summer evenings they will be allowed out then too when we get in from work! 

That’s a good sign that the last egg may not be a Pekin one, I’ve gotten quite attached to the little silkie so would be very sad if she had to go. I gave my neighbour to the left some eggs today, and he seemed grateful, and didn’t mention the noise, so here’s hoping he will be OK with some honking!

Edited by ThreeChooks