Harry

Hatching Ducklings bleeding slightly HELP

I’m a first time Hatcher, on day 28 of incubation. All ducks are popping slightly which is great. One pipped yesterday before midday, and has made quite a bit of progress, but I think he may be bleeding slightly? I’ve attached a picture, can anyone advise me?

image.jpg

I doubt that it is in pain. There's often a slight smear of blood when a chick or duckling hatches, the important thing is not to help it out; they need to make their own way. Keep the shell slightly moist (especially is the atmosphere is so dry right now) so help it get out. Hatching can take some time, which is agony when you're mad keen to see the babies.

You do realise that we will expect photos of them when they're out........

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much @The Dogmother that has really put my mind at ease. Should I open the incubator quickly and spray them with warm water then?

I’ll send photos if they make it! Who would’ve thought hatching was so stressful! Finger crossed everything is smooth form here on in 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Some news.... 

said duck has hatched from shell, so I removed the shell form incubator to give some more room. It’s head is still tucked up as if it’s still in the egg and there is a small belly button like feature on its tummy. It’s chirping quite regularly but not as much as I had expected. I think it could be quite premature as none of the other eggs have hatched, just pipped. 

I’ll attack a photo ...

image.jpg

I’ve never hatched ducks before - only chickens - but that doesn’t look great to me. They usually lie stillish for a rest for a short while after they make it out of he egg, but then are up and flailing about pretty soon. I did have one with a bit of a ‘belly button’ but it wasn’t as much as what I think I can see on your duckling.

How long has it been out of its shell now?

Unfortunately he passed away during the night. I had not interfered and left him int he incubator to dry off. It was quite upsettting, as a first time Hatcher who has put so much effort into caring for the eggs, but the other 3 eggs are looking promising. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 

That's good. He will need water at first, then crumbs as son as he has absorbed the egg sac. Hopefully you'll have some more very soon as it would be a shame to move him into the brooder on his own. I usually put a teeny bit of diluted NutriDrops in their water to give them a head start when I have chicks. How is the poorly one coming along?