Cinnamon

Rat trouble

We know there are generally rats around here - its very rural,we have a stream....they are an unfortunate fact of life :?

But I have never seen anything like this before. I am here in my office,& across the driveway,in frount of the stream is a tall,wild hedgerow,mainly of brambles.

It reaches up through the trees, & must be 12ft high (we get heaps of blackberries).

A little movement caught my eye & I noticed a rat in the brambles eating the berries, then I noticed another, then another.........5 in all :shock:

Some of them were right up at the top,running around through the brambles to get at the berries & hips.

The good news is that from my small window in the bedroom,they will be easy shooting targets.

The bad news is,if we miss,we might hit the cars :roll::lol:

I really hate rats,I just sitting here & now knowing they are so close to me is creeping me out.

i know they're "vermin" but I try and have respect for all living things, even when I kill a fly these words ring in my ears....

(Me up at does)

Me up at does

out of the floor

quietly Stare

a poisoned mouse

still who alive

is asking What

have i done that

You wouldn't have

by ee cummings

and...

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

Albert Schweitzer

Rats do a lot of things that I wouldn't have done, so E.E. Cummings' poem doesn't prick my conscience at all.

They are attracted by chickens and other pets, and if you can't deal with the problem then you shouldn't keep pets: it isn't fair on your neighbours. They carry some dreadful diseases, and are responsible for more human deaths through the damage they do, e.g. when they chew through cables.

And remember: you can't have hens without killing cockerels (or indeed cows without killing steers). People seem to forget that. Every one is responsible for the death of some animals, and we have to live with that and not get too sentimental.

I had a rat problem last year. It was burrowing under the slabs that the Eglus are on.

I tried humane methods for a couple of months, to no avail.

I then bit the bullet and put down some bait boxes with proper poison and he packed his bags.

They do say you never have a rat....you have rats.

We have had a big problem with rats....they were here before we moved in, living under next doors decking. We have had some success by using a product called Eradirat. We have had to remain vigilant and put we tend to put eradirat down approx every 10 weeks. The recent heavy rainfall/flooding might have helped aswell.

We also bring the girls food and water in each night and hose down any food spillage. The possibility of rats roaming over their run (I've seen them in there) and peeing everywhere including in their feed/water in not a nice thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

A colleague had to rip her decking up a while back as they were aware that there were rats under it.

She said it was hideous....about thirty scrambled out screaming when the work started.

The workmen were bashing as many as possible with shovels. :vom:

I have not been impressed with Eradirat, personally.

I have not been impressed with Eradirat, personally.

I think I know what you mean...it takes a lot of patience/ persistance & it's not as immediate as a poison.

We really felt that we've had little choice in what we use, next door (with the decking) was a house which was rented to a lovely family with a small child, the property owners wouldn't remove the decking and poison/traps could have been a hazzard to the little girl.

We bought a huge drum of erradirate and bagged it up into sandwich bags. We gave 4/5 bags to about 4 of our neighbours with instructions & it did clear the problem within about two weeks...of course they came back when a new lot of rats moved in 4 months later. So we keep at it :(

One neighbour uses sachets of some kind of blue poison, but this has been known to migrate (rats or foxes moving it) into another garden in the street behind which has caused some friction.

I think living in a built up urban environment, we're always going to have this problem. I'm keen to know what others are using/what works.

Theres a headline in the news today about a chap who's died from blood poisoning after the family pet rat bit him (sorry,don't know how to do links :oops: )

pet rats and wild/sewer rats are TOTALLY different. We had a pet rat for about 3 years, before he died of a tumour on his jaw.

He was the gentleest, sweetest creature I've ever had the pleasure to know.

Your pet cat/dog/budgie or even chicken could bite you and you might get blood poisoning! Oh, and while I'm at it, you CAN'T get Weils disease from pet rats either. They're specially bred for the pet market and don't carry diseases!!!! The only time they'd have it is if they'd been in contact with wild rats, which is HIGHLY unlikely

My pet rat bit me once, when we first got him. It was my fault, I cornered him and he paniced but he wasn't vicious, it was more of a warning-it NEVER happened again. He was amazing, he'd come when he was called and rode around on my shoulder, his tongue was like velvet, he used to lick my hand- we'd play fight and teach him tricks-he could walk on his hind legs, he was gorgeous!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/28/nrat128.xml

This is the newspaper article that feemcg refers to.

The sad thing about it is that the guy didn't take the advice offered to him because he had an important meeting. Just goes to show how work pressures can end up killing you :(

Good idea to think about the last time you had a tetanus injection?

My doctor insisted that it'd would be a good idea when I was refurbishing a house a few years ago, pehaps it would be a good idea to have a booster now I handle mountains of chicken poo.

FWIW, I have no axe to grind against pet rats; Os had one called Adolf when he was growing up.....I'm told that he was quite tame/sweet natured.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/28/nrat128.xml

This is the newspaper article that feemcg refers to.

The sad thing about it is that the guy didn't take the advice offered to him because he had an important meeting. Just goes to show how work pressures can end up killing you :(

Good idea to think about the last time you had a tetanus injection?

My doctor insisted that it'd would be a good idea when I was refurbishing a house a few years ago, pehaps it would be a good idea to have a booster now I handle mountains of chicken poo.

FWIW, I have no axe to grind against pet rats; Os had one called Adolf when he was growing up.....I'm told that he was quite tame/sweet natured.

i can't remember the last time I had one to be honest, oh god I hate needles and the tetanus one is a bad one isn't it? Now I'm worried about chicken poo and tetanus! LOL I panic about EVERYTHING

Just been to Countrywide & have got -

1 x bait box

1 x rat cage trap thingy

1 x HUGE tub of nasty rat killing potion :wink:

There is evidence of them trying to dig into the hen pen now too, as well as rat poo just by my shed door.

I have also phoned the council & phoned Thames Water who own the stream where their nests are - between us all we should be able to sort them :lol:

I too had a problem with rats a while back. did all the humane things to start with...including Eradirat which really didn't do a lot. In fact...NOTHING :evil::!::evil::!: . Anyway resorted to traps and bait boxes and "hey presto" got the little blighters. Haven't seen any for a while, but at least now I feel prepared if there is another outburst :twisted:

Susan :wink:

And remember: you can't have hens without killing cockerels (or indeed cows without killing steers). People seem to forget that. Every one is responsible for the death of some animals, and we have to live with that and not get too sentimental.

Perhaps I'm being naive but why can't you have hens without killing cockerels? :oops:

Because you can't dictate that the eggs will all produce female chicks.

Something has to be done with the boys.

You can't have beef without killing cattle for that matter, , nor can you have lamb without killing sheep, bacon or pork or gammon without killing pigs.

I don't eat meat....but I don't have any problem exterminating disease carrying vermin.