Microstead

Day 4...and it just gets better

20200620_165124.thumb.jpg.48a4a6cb989c1bec58f362c18c95d9a0.jpg20200620_165124.thumb.jpg.48a4a6cb989c1bec58f362c18c95d9a0.jpg20200620_165140.thumb.jpg.e040a222b55ce38af13ed77afd2e52f8.jpg20200620_182729.thumb.jpg.c664080beea433552599ecc61dd5df87.jpg getting on well with each My bantams seem to be getting on well with one another. Sprite is definitely bottom of the pecking order. Pepsi is very occassionally pecking the others, mostly Sprite, but I watched her peck Fanta once and Fanta pecked her right back. Vimto and Sprite, being 4 weeks younger,  always approach Fanta to snuggle up to. This was them all this afternoon. I'm looking forward to being able to let them out on a patch of grass to free range when they've settled and matured  and won't fly away. 

On 6/24/2020 at 6:03 PM, Microstead said:

Thank you Lula chicken.  I take it it means that they are getting on well then?

Well, sadly I do only have 2 girls at the moment.

Although Gemma is the oldest she is at the bottom of the pecking order but strangely, she is the one that pecks Molly's neck feathers.

Both of them do like a good snuggle but not so much in this heat.

They have the odd spat but that is all.

1 hour ago, Luvachicken said:

Although Gemma is the oldest she is at the bottom of the pecking order but strangely, she is the one that pecks Molly's neck feathers.

That's interesting. What signs does Molly show as the chicken at the top of the pecking order? truly interested as I thought the one the pecked the others was at the top. Do both your pekins still lay?

I never see Gemma peck Molly.

Molly often growls at Gemma, doesn't always share treats and kind of pushes Gemma out of the way.

Interestingly, Gemma was always at the top of the pecking order of her little gang, but when the younger ones came along they took over and the older ones were demoted. Even then, Gemma still managed to peck everyone's neck feathers and I still never saw her do it. She was the only one with her feathers intact.

Both of them do lay although Molly seems to lay a lot of soft shelled eggs. Gemma still lays a good egg when she is not feeling broody.

• Like 1