Hi,

we have built a walk in run which I’m very pleased with but it’s turned into a mud mess so quick! 

The ground is not even so would be tricky to slab.

I was looking online last night and seen that pine wood pellets laid down first then woodchips on top really helped the mud issue? I was thinking of doing this and wandered off anyone has tried? 

would woodchips work alone if I laid a good enough amount of them down? 

Has anyone had this issue and found an easy solution? 

thanks

Silly question, perhaps, but does the WIR have a roof? If not, I don't think it's going to make much difference what you put on top of the floor; it's going to become a wet mess whenever it rains, although slabs will obviously avoid that wet mess being a muddy one. Nor do I think hens generally care as long as there's somewhere covered and dry available as well where they can retreat in order to avoid the generic problems associated with wet feet.

If, of course, your WIR is roofed, then perhaps a covering of some sort (an old plastic shower curtain?) on the wall in the direction of the prevailing wind will stop too much of the rain being blown in from the side.

• Like 1

It needs a roof.   If not a permanent one, then cover with clear tarpaulins from Tarpaflex.   I’ve got the Omlet WIR which is open to the elements but I’ve got a clear tarpaulin over the roof, then same on one of the long sides and the front.  Then I have wavy plastic available to cover  the remaining side if necessary.  All held in place with bungees.   It’s dry inside so I use aubiose on the floor.  Log roll round the perimeter to keep it in. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

It needs a roof.   If not a permanent one, then cover with clear tarpaulins from Tarpaflex.   I’ve got the Omlet WIR which is open to the elements but I’ve got a clear tarpaulin over the roof, then same on one of the long sides and the front.  Then I have wavy plastic available to cover  the remaining side if necessary.  All held in place with bungees.   It’s dry inside so I use aubiose on the floor.  Log roll round the perimeter to keep it in. 

👍

16 minutes ago, Patricia W said:

I was having a debate as to how to keep stuff in the run.... Although as I have a classic I’m not sure log roll would work as well 🤔

3 hours ago, Heatherlou said:

Thanks for your replies! 😁

My run Does not have a roof over the mesh top :-( if I get clear tarpaulins and put this over the top and sides will it be ok to put aubiose down on the mud floor? 

I am desperate to fix this! 

thanks 

Just to be clear, a tarpaulin roof is a good thing, but only cover the side nearest the prevailing wind and even then only if the rain seems to persistently get in. I'm not trying to do the grandmothers/sucking eggs bit but your post carried a hint that you might cover all sides with clear tarpaulin as well and in this weather that'd turn the whole run into a greenhouse. I don't imagine it's likely that's what you meant but I just wanted to make absolutely certain.

• Thanks 1

My run has roof, is on ground with hardwood chips, but they just want to be out on what was lawn next to it. I let them out a few hours a day supervised as it’s penned with chicken wire, but they have eaten all the grass and scratched all seeds out.... they still want to be there though so, is paving slaps with gaps the best idea? Feel bad covering it all in slabs.... 

what about gravel and some slabs with bits of earth in between?

i have great poultry grass seed which really does grow back in 4 weeks also

Forgot to say: have spare bags of hardwood run chips which i could put down, but do these work in uncovered run? ( from flyte so fancy)
am also concerned cats will just think it’s a giant litter tray......

Chickens are like toddlers: they’ll aways want what they can’t have or can’t quite reach. Chickens don’t need grass.

Stay away from anything gravel. It won’t stay where you want it and it can turn in a muddy mess. 
You can keep hardwood chips in an uncovered run, but I would put paving slabs under it, otherwise it will turn muddy very quickly.