SeramaSilly

Kitchen plinth heaters

The one we had was very good. The important feature was a thermostat that stopped the fan from switching on until the system was warm enough, so you could leave it on without it blowing cold air and it would switch off when the system went off. Unfortunately I can't remember the make and it wasn't particularly cheap. Fairly quiet, until the fan was turned up to full speed. Did kick out a lot of heat so if the room is small you will need a room thermostat as well, as we did. Plumbing is important, with a good flow and isolating valves, so not suitable for microbore systems.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Beantree said:

The one we had was very good. The important feature was a thermostat that stopped the fan from switching on until the system was warm enough, so you could leave it on without it blowing cold air and it would switch off when the system went off. Unfortunately I can't remember the make and it wasn't particularly cheap. Fairly quiet, until the fan was turned up to full speed. Did kick out a lot of heat so if the room is small you will need a room thermostat as well, as we did. Plumbing is important, with a good flow and isolating valves, so not suitable for microbore systems.

Thank you Beantree that sounds very positive.  Got someone coming round to give me a quote this week so I will ask them about what you've mentioned.

There was an old electric one in our kitchen when we moved in - our kitchen doesn’t have radiators. It did warm the kitchen up quite well and quite quickly but it was very noisy and very expensive and the heat dissipated as soon as it was turned off. We ripped it out when we had the kitchen done up and now have no heating in there.
I’m sure there are better ones now though it was probably about 30 years old.

Edited by mullethunter
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cat tails said:

What about underfloor heating? You have that in electric as well.

Yes underfloor heating would be the perfect option but I think that would be quite pricey wouldn't it and I don't want to spend too much on this kitchen because we don't intend to stay here. :-( 

We have one in the kitchen which probably gets used once a year as it's very noisy and the heat doesn't seem to stick around for very long - kind of only used after a snowy walk or when we get back from holiday and the house is freezing, but now we have Hive that's easily rectified so I don't think we'd replace it if it broke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our last kitchen had one instead of the radiator - we lacked space and the kitchen was always cold.  Underfloor heating was not an option.  But the Kickspace heater was installed and for a while it was really good.  I guess it lasted about 20 years.  Getting a plumber to install another one was a big difficulty as our guy didn't want to know.  Probably because he was too busy feuding with his father - his father not a nice person for several reasons so I understand - but do not excuse.  So as luck would have it we found another young lad who was living fairly close, new business and he was brilliant.  He sourced a new Kickspace, had to saw out the bottom of a cupboard to reinstall it as it was a little bit larger.  He put the base of the cupboard back superbly - also the new heater was much better.  I think if we stayed I might have had another installed, but when the cooker was on, it wasn't necessary.  There are 2 in the new house, one in the utility and one in the kitchen.  I don't think we have ever used the one in the utility, but the kitchen here is freezing cold.  With the new extension we will have under floor heating via the central heating system - we have a really good plumber and he's young too!  

It had the central heating plumbed in but it needed electricity for blowing it out in a fan.  It had 2 switches - one for settings on the fan, fast and slow or off.  The other was cold or hot or off!  I found the slower speed was more effective.  We never needed it on cool!  But it was still better than the silly little radiator that we did have as all it did was warm a wall that backed onto the garage and we felt no benefit from the heat.