vida

is there a chicken which doesn't lay egg?

Hello ,

I have a 23 weeks old chicken who does not feel like laying egg. Does any body know if there are eggless chickens?

we have been waiting for an egg since her 20 weeks birthday but no sign of it yet. all our ther ones started around 20 to 22 weeks.

any suggestions?

Vida

Hi Vida!

The chicken that isn't laying could be younger than the others? One of mine started a couple of months after the other two. Also are they pure breeds or hybrids? Pure breeds go off lay when the days get shorter, so you might not get any until spring. Give her a bit more time to settle and i'm sure she will reward you.

I'm suppose it is possible that she will never lay, but unlikely. I hope she lays soon! :D

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the reply.

We hatched the eggs( Two of them, One was a rooster)ourselves . it hatched on first of May, but i understand your point and will be pationt. she is a big girl and Hybreed( Buff sussex).

I will wait untill spring and let you know if anything happens or there are eggless chickens!!!

Vida

I've given up - she's a big, fat freeloader - and not very friendly :roll: (I love her really :wink: )

that is SUCH a fab thing to say, made me laugh!! I've got a big fat Speckledy who hardly ever lays. Then again I've got a Leghorn (prolific layer according to the breed description) and she's laid about 5 eggs since June, and we're now down to 3 eggs a day from 7 hens! How come battery hens, kept in terrible conditions churn out eggs day after day and yet my spoiled, loved, nurtured and treated hens lay only when they feel like it?

:roll::roll::lol:

Mrs Bertie

Well she is the one eating mostly pellet others pick on her and dont allow her any treats. could that be the reason ? she might be too stressed. the corn eating ones lay regularly( of course they eat pellet too).

Or, maybe she is too lazy .

Vida

My Speckled Star isn't laying yet, but I know for a fact she's younger than the other 2, but I'm not sure by how much exactly.....Am I right in thinking they should start laying between 18 and 22 weeks? Or is it later? I thought she was about 15 weeks when we got her at the end of August, but that would make her 22 weeks roundabout now....her comb is beginning to develop and brighten but is not fully grown yet. And she hasn't started dropping to the ground like the other 2 did a few days before they started to lay. Hope she starts soon! :pray: