Luvachicken

What are the risks of mixing non vaccinated girls with vaccinated ones ?

At the moment I have Gemma, 8, and Molly, nearly 4, both of whom are not vaccinated.

I've been looking at a fab place online that sells Pekins but they are vaccinated.

How much risk would I be putting my original girls in if I added vaccinated girls, and would you risk it ?

The new chickens would be vaccinated againstMarek's, Newcastle's and Infectious Bronchitis 

Does that mean that new girls could give my original girls these diseases ?

How likely is it ?

If I kept them apart from each other, how much space would they need in-between so that they couldn't transmit anything ?  

Many thanks xx

My bantams are unvaccinated as are most birds produced by small breeders.  I’ve had rescues too, which are vaccinated as it’s viable to do so in the large numbers they are produced.   I’ve never had a problem.   I do quarantine for 2 weeks minimum and if they are joining another group, I then introduce them gradually over time. So any problems have time to appear.     I have them about 6 ft apart but in sight of each other by the way 

Edited by Patricia W

Thanks @Patricia W 😊

I wouldn't have the space to leave a 6 foot gap.

Where I got my girls from before obviously were non vaccinated, but sadly, of the 4 I bought there is only Molly left.

Gemma came from Rokers, a farm supplies shop, and I don't think she was vaccinated but may have been, and she is a tough old cookie.

I'm just wondering if vaccinated birds survive better or mine were just unlucky.

I could get some more from the same place as before but I am tempted by the beauties I saw online.

The vaccinations run them down so they are less resilient Luvachicken. The new hens would shed the virus with the stress of moving; I know this because it happened to us, making our entire flock very sick and leaving us with a huge vet bill. The IB virus transmits in the wind and the necessary separation figure I was given was 1500 metres. I would advise against getting vaccinated birds.

• Like 1

I have kept vaccinated and non-vaccinated birds together for years, introduced after 2 weeks quarantine, and have never had any problems.

The vaccines we use are live-attenuated or dead (not live) so vaccine shedding wouldn't be an issue and would boost their immune system rather than run them down; the same way people who have had the Covid vaccine don't shed the infectious virus.

• Thanks 1

Bad choice of words from me Luvachicken, i meant to say 'immunised', which is very different. As Lewis says, a dead vaccine isn't a problem and they use only that one here for Newcastle; it has to be renewed every year for showing birds. Our were immunised with a mixture of live viruses from each group of infections, mild in themselves but very serious if contracted simultaneously, standard practice with hybrids and administered either in the water or by a spray in the air in the coop. So the hybrids we bought were infectious to our pedigree flock. They were always sickly and didn't last long either.

Best find out exactly what these chickens will have had.

Thank you both very much.

I think I love Gemma and Molly too much to take the risk.

I think I will just have to be wait, but will treat myself to the beauties I have seen when I need to start again.

I must admit, I think I was getting quite excited at the thought of some new fluffballs.

@Beantree when you say they were always sickly and didn't last long either, did you mean the hybrids you bought ?

• Like 1

I meant the hybrids Luvachicken. None of the hybrids we have had lived very long, so 6 -18 months is all. They were all 'immunised' with at least three viruses and for the last lot we took in I got a detailed schedule of their treatments, which was a full A4 page of a dozen stages. There have been many reported cases where the stress of a new home caused these viruses to flare up and the birds have died within weeks. Best avoided I think. To add, it's not a practice done here so why the UK does it I don't know?

• Sad 1

On 1/16/2021 at 2:31 PM, Luvachicken said:

That is sad @Beantree

So am I understanding correctly, that if they have had vaccinations, they are not as healthy as you think they might be or should be ?

I think that's the point being made but I would disagree and say they're less likely to pick up infectious diseases; commercial flocks (including free range) wouldn't be vaccinated if they died of the diseases they're vaccinated against. Hybrids in general are bred for productivity rather than longevity, which may be what we're seeing.

Just that obviously, when I eventually buy my new girls, they are £35 each plus £70 delivery.

It would cost me £280 for 6 girls, which I consider pretty expensive, especially if they were to die 6 months later.

I think my girls I got from a local place before were about £10 or £12 each.

Gemma may have been more expensive, possibly £25.

This new place sells such pretty Pekins, especially a salmon one and some very pretty black and white mottled ones.