Ok.  So far I have ordered a walk in run size 2 x 3 x 2.  I have had a space dug out and flattened in my rather uneven garden.  It is heavy clay.  I have sleepers to build the frame.   
I want to use the deep litter method, with woodchip ( preferred). I plan to put patio slabs under the run, then woodchips on top.  Please can someone tell me if I also need to cement the base to lay the slabs on?  I’m paying a builder and that will increase the price.  Help!  

Thank you All. I did wonder about membrane. Will have a good think about this.  Big laugh——- because I didn’t go on holiday to exotic places ( or anywhere) I decided to use the money to buy some chickens.  Now I need a mortgage to keep up with them! 😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

Never add up what you have spent 😮

We've been through various things - a Cube with a metre run, adding another metre run, getting a laptop of my own to talk to my chicken friends, buying a bigger door end panel, adding a wooden run with plastic roof, replacement roof, extra GO for 2 very spiteful chickens, gravel, woodchips, a Jungle Gym ( that no chickens go on ), quite a few chickens and various vet trips, plus a couple of spy cameras ( but these were presents )

• Like 1

I have an Omlet  go up, added an extra metre when I bought it, then added another. Bought Omlet fencing, covers , a swing, ( never used)   Then a walk in run which we quickly put over the eglu and run ( avian flu) in which you can only stand at the door, impossible to clean because I’m not a midget.  Found a way to remove the trays, balanced on a big pot, just right for girls to jump onto and tip on floor, removed Omlet run now so not too bad but walk- in door too narrow to bring trays out flat so girls still think it’s gym time. Even bought a nice box with sand and compost for dust bath, they prefer mud, certainly won’t play the xyzlophone they had for Christmas, they don’t like the berry and corn treats, but I still love them!!!  They make me smile every day. So I’m buying an Omlet walk in run. Only the best for my girls 😂😂😍😍

• Like 1

I have an Omlet WIR and it’s one bit of Omlet kit I regret buying.  I have two cubes, two classics, Omlet fencing etc etc BUT there are serious flaws with the WIR.  It’s not small bird or rodent proof unless you do as I have had to do, cover it with 1/2 inch weldmesh.  That adds another £100+ to the cost.  And that’s only the cost of covering the top half.   Just before AI I found a blue tit in there which had flown in via the lower section. So, for AI the three bantams I have, are living back in the cube run, while the WIR stands empty.   

So my advice is to cost having a purpose built run built by a local carpenter before pressing the button for an Omlet one.  

• Like 1

If you accept small birds and rodents can get in, the Omlet WIR is fine. My dad has one and is really happy with it. I didn’t get one, because the size didn’t suit my garden and I could do something similar for a better prize. But I don’t need to worry about foxes etc.

I tend to agree with Patricia, I’m a massive fan of Omlet products but have never bought a walk in run for that reason.

I have a few clients (chicken sitting etc) that have them and they’re a good design but personally have a wooden WIR and have just replaced that for another wooden from Jim Vyse Arks.

17 hours ago, Girly said:

Oh dear! I’ve just ordered a WIR!  What do others think about

I have a lo-rise 4m by 2m Omlet WIR and I love it. The mesh on the side panels is smallish - yes bluetit and sparrow sized birds could get through, but I’ve never seen them do it in my run. The roof panels have larger mesh and on the rare occasion I roll back the tarpaulin roof (only on hot, windless days in the summer) I do see sparrows go in there after spiders. 

It’s definitely true that it’s absolutely no impediment to mice, but that doesn’t really bother me - I’ve seen a small rat in there once and it was a real struggle for it to squeeze it’s way out through the small mesh.

Plus points - it’s easy to add bits and extra doors if you want to make it bigger; you can add all sorts of other things with copious use of cable ties, it can cope with the ground not being completely flat and level; once you’ve figured out the clips it’s reasonably easy to dismantle and reassemble if you need to move it.

Mine is over 6 years old now and still going strong.

• Like 2

I’m at the point of having to decide if I keep mine, which is now modified to an extent, or to ditch it.  The plus points are a) the height.  Not only for cleaning but my bantams do like to perch high.  They’ve not perched in the low level cube run since I moved them in there.  And b) it can be moved.   I had to do this as we’re changing the garden.  

I really just wish that Omlet would change their spec.   I don’t know if you’ve noticed that they now advertise them as ‘animal runs’ to give your pets more space rather than for poultry.  You see them with guinea pigs and cats in there these days.  Can’t see the cat liking it in there, but may be I could get guinea pigs?