JoCat

Feather Loss Help

Hi, I have 4 beautiful hens and they are probably coming up to a year old now. Two (Juliette and Rita) have lost most of their feathers underneath and they don’t seem to be growing back( you can’t see unless you lift them up). They aren’t broody, no lice or mites, eating well and generally healthy. I’ve given extra protein and tonic and feed good quality layers pellets. The four get on well I would say, there is definitely a boss level (Aretha and Margo) but I don’t see evident bullying. If they are eating their own feathers how do I know and what can I do about it? They have lots of room, generally very spoilt! Any suggestions or advice? Thanks All 

8 hours ago, JoCat said:

Hi, I have 4 beautiful hens and they are probably coming up to a year old now. Two (Juliette and Rita) have lost most of their feathers underneath and they don’t seem to be growing back( you can’t see unless you lift them up). They aren’t broody, no lice or mites, eating well and generally healthy. I’ve given extra protein and tonic and feed good quality layers pellets. The four get on well I would say, there is definitely a boss level (Aretha and Margo) but I don’t see evident bullying. If they are eating their own feathers how do I know and what can I do about it? They have lots of room, generally very spoilt! Any suggestions or advice? Thanks All 

Only by watching them like hawks, you might be able to spot them plucking feathers. Either there own or each others.

You can try anti pecking spray or bumpa bits.

• Thanks 1

I suspect feather pecking.  You need to intervene before blood is shed.  If you can identify the bully, place her in a wire cage in the run, or not sight of the others.  You will need to separate her out for a few days so that she goes down the pecking order.  If you can’t identity a single one, or separation doesn’t work, fit them all with bumpa bits.  These allow them to do everything except feather peck.  They fall out after about 6 weeks by which time the behaviour has changed.   You can get the bumpa bits from www.claretaylor.co.  She also has a video of how to fit the bits.  Plus her website has lots of good advice 

UPDATE-Well, I’ve been watching the chooks almost to the point of being like a stalker, I think the extra protein and tonic had helped Rita, only a little bare now and of less concern. Good regrowth and seems happy.

Juliette however I fear may be eating her own feathers.She seems bare underneath, no bleeding but a bit dry and flakey. Lots of preening, especially at the back gland above tail?

I really don’t see any evidence of others nibbling, and can’t see how another chook can get as low underneath ? Juliette is the lowest in the pecking order but I don’t believe she is terribly bullied, four hens in lots of space I would say they get on very well. So if one is eating, what should I do? Anti peck spray? I’ve heard chooks can go a bit weird when that’s applied? Bumpa bits for just one? 

Any further advice greatly appreciated.

Are they hybrids?

Often hybrids will lose their feathers underneath their 'abdomen' or they will be sp***** because they get so hot from egg production that they'll pluck or lose them. I'd expect bullies to go for their backs or necks.

Yip, all hybrids. Egg production is regular and really good quality, they haven’t really slowed down even in winter (no artificial light).

I know, it’s strange, don’t think moulting, don’t think feather pecking, not broody. 

I’ll try get a photo tomorrow, maybe that might help. 

thanks all. 

UPDATE-Well, I’ve been watching the chooks almost to the point of being like a stalker, I think the extra protein and tonic had helped Rita, only a little bare now and of less concern. Good regrowth and seems happy.

Juliette however I fear may be eating her own feathers.She seems bare underneath, no bleeding but a bit dry and flakey. Lots of preening, especially at the back gland above tail?

I really don’t see any evidence of others nibbling, and can’t see how another chook can get as low underneath ? Juliette is the lowest in the pecking order but I don’t believe she is terribly bullied, four hens in lots of space I would say they get on very well. So if one is eating, what should I do? Anti peck spray? I’ve heard chooks can go a bit weird when that’s applied? Bumpa bits for just one? 

Any further advice greatly appreciated.

EB310262-DA1B-4246-919E-16484C9BE173.jpeg

4EF79991-61CE-4173-9086-2E2746141127.jpeg

D75DF34F-7E5D-4513-8644-58E936C27829.jpeg